Thread: Gimp cropping

Beans
    Hidden!

Gimp cropping

If I crop an image in gimp, zoom and export as a jpg how do I ensure that the picture automatically takes up all of the window's space for the picture, ie I do not want the final picture to be surrounded by a lot of black space. I am finding that the picture needs to be zoomed in the picture viewer to get it to take up the full screen. I want it to be automatically the right size in the viewer. What extra adjustments should I make in gimp to the picture before it is exported to get it to automatically zoom to the full size?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Gimp cropping

Click Image, then Scale image to change the size of the image.

Beans

You could resize, but that gives you a fixed size. If you want automatic zoom to fit the images to any window size, that will be a function of the image viewer. gthumb and pix: preferences > viewer > after loading images > keep previous zoom will retain zoom setting once it's set.

Versions: gthumb 3.8.0; pix 1.6.2
    Last edited by Dennis N; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:28 AM. Reason: added how to set.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you both for replying so quickly.

Beans
    Hidden!

Is there a method to work out what image size settings should be chosen?

I am doing this to produce a picture in ebay for a sale. The item for sale currently is very small in the centre of the shot, and so I need to crop it, and scale the image so as to ensure that when anyone looks at the picture the item for sale will take up the full size of the available space.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Usually I just pick a specific size for all the images that corresponds to their aspect ratios, like 640x480, and scale the images to that size. If you cut the image out, then scale it up, there shouldn't be any black space.

However if the image you're describing is as small as it sounds, it might look ugly when enlarged.

If you're doing a lot of these, you might want to acquaint yourself with Imagemagick convert, which is a command-line tool that can manipulate images in all sorts of ways. You can use it in scripts to iterate over a bunch of images and apply needed transforms. For instance, here's a script that rotates only images in portrait mode to landscape: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....1#post11814807

"sudo apt install imagemagick"
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

From the Art & Design sub-forum tagline:

Discuss various aspects of Ubuntu and Art here. Questions about using software for image editing should go in the Multimedia Software section.
    Thread moved to Multimedia Software.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyx View Post
    Is there a method to work out what image size settings should be chosen?
    The crop tool shows the size of the selected box in the options dialogue, and you can set it to a specific size there as well. Use appropriate values for your use case. For example, were you cropping out an avatar for the Ubuntu Forums, you would pick 90×90 pixels.

As others have already mentioned, the way that the image is presented is entirely dependent on the software that's used to present it and the specific attributes of the hardware used to display it. The same 800×600 image, say, is going to be a completely different size on a 21" CRT than it would be on a 300 DPI laptop.
    Last edited by CatKiller; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:58 PM.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Size the image to what size you want then crop it then crop canvas to mage size then flatten layers. then export as whatever filetype you need. Then save the image in the format Gimp wants in case you need to come back and start again. Also best save the original photo etc. before you start frigging with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The setting ""Current layer only" may be active in your crop tool settings. Make sure it is unchecked: then the crop action will reduce the entire image to the cropped area, also cropping other layers if present.