Thread: Xubuntu 18.04.3 - cannot restore system after display enters power saving mode

Beans

Xubuntu 18.04.3 - cannot restore system after display enters power saving mode

Hello,

I've just moved from Lubuntu to Xubuntu, and now encountering a power saving issue. I've turned the power saving mode on my monitor off, so the desktop is the controlling system. My monitor is a Benq GW2760S, I'm using HDMI to connect. The monitor is configured to use HDMI as the input.

After my monitor screen goes black, the monitor indicator turns from green to amber. From that point I cannot revive the system - no amount of keyboard pressing nor mouse movement will wake the monitor. If I disconnect the monitor power, it restarts with "no cable connected". I never has this issue with my older Xubuntu Mint, nor the recent 19.04 Lubuntu.

Can anyone suggest a solution, because I'm having to hard reboot my system every time my system enters power saving mode - which will eventually cause file system problems.

Many thanks for any help,
    Marc

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Xubuntu 18.04.3 - cannot restore system after display enters power saving mode

is it running on battery or plugged in?
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Xubuntu 18.04.3 - cannot restore system after display enters power saving mode

How does Xubuntu 19.04 work?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Xfce Power Manager under setting Display
    How is the Display power management control set?
    Blank after ?
    Put to sleep after ?
    Switch off after ?
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I had this problem as well. I ended up turning off the power saving mode, which I normally do soon after an install.

Beans

Thanks for the replies. To respond to a few of the questions:

- my system is a desktop, so no battery
    - haven't tried Xubuntu 19.04
    - regarding the display power manager, it's currently set to 'never' for everything to avoid any issues. However, I did experiment with just blank after = 2 mins, put to sleep after = never and switch off after = never ... which resulted in the monitor going blank after 2 mins as promised, but was then unable to restore to a working display. Had to restart again...

So simply power saving the monitor to blank will cause the issue. Seems like either Xubuntu is not signaling the monitor to awake, or the monitor is ignoring the signal. However, I had no issues with the previous install of Lubuntu.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by marcusadamski View Post
    - haven't tried Xubuntu 19.04
    If you have found that Lubuntu 19.04 works then it's worth a try.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Update - also if I "lock screen", the screen instantly goes black, and again - no matter how much mouse or keyboard movement, the display will not respond. Again, only solution is to restart the machine.

Out of necessity, I had to stop (1) of the display from blanking and also (2) from locking screen - to avoid this issue - but this leaves my machine very vulnerable.

Surely someone has a suggestion / seen this before?

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by marcusadamski; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:50 PM.