Thread: Sync Virtual Machine over Local Network

Beans

Sync Virtual Machine over Local Network

I'm fairly new to Ubunu. I love it and it's my new daily driver. But I still need Windows for some things, such as Office, which I am handling with VirtualBox. I need to have a Windows 10 VM on my desktop and another on my laptop. I already have a Windows 10 VM set up and configured on my laptop just like I want it. My question is this. Is it possible to somehow use the same virtual machine on both computers? I understand that it would be slow using the VM over the network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to use it on my laptop, and then have it sync the VM's state to my desktop. And then when I use it on my Desktop, it syncs the state to my laptop. This way both desktop and laptop will be using the latest state of my VM. I hope I have explain this okay. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Sync Virtual Machine over Local Network

There are many possible answers to this. Some are tied to the hypervisor being used and backend storage technique. If you are new to Unix, most are beyond your skill, I'm afraid.

Live migration is the technical term for doing what you've described. It requires shared storage. https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Migration

And that leaves out the licensing issues that always comes with Windows.

Ceph, sheepdog, DBRB are storage mirroring methods/tools. Using them on a laptop would be something I'd never do.
    https://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/rbd/libvirt/
    https://github.com/sheepdog/sheepdog
    http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/Live-Migration

rsync is another option, but it has issues with very large files - anything over 2-4G in size. Isn't Win10 about 60GB these days? You can always just copy the files back and forth, assuming you use simplistic file-based storage. The only real trick is to ensure that the VM setups on both systems use exactly the same settings. Windows is very picky that way. Linux systems care much less.

Have you considered using a remote desktop? If you use KVM+libvirt with spice display drivers for the Win10 VM, then you can remotely access it from anywhere internet access is available. On the same LAN, it is very near native performance. Over a WAN, the network bandwidth and VPN overhead will determine what level of performance is possible. Any remote access to any MS-Windows installation would need a VPN to secure the network connection. For Linux systems and VMs, there are other, easier-to-use, options. I usually use x2go from the internet into a Linux desktop (running in a VM), then run an LAN-only RDP remote desktop to connect to Windows. Can't watch video or hear audio, but for typical MS-Office stuff, it works great. If you run Linux desktop versions, like libreoffice, it is faster.

On the same LAN, you can use ssh -X to run a program on another Unix machine, but have the display window on your local workstation. This works over a WAN connection, but X11 isn't very bandwidth efficient for WAN use.

I move Linux VMs around with little worry about losing access on the new system. Moved about 20 earlier this year. But whenever I need to relocate a Windows VM, it is much, much, harder. I've needed to move a Win7 VM from a Linux host to a different Linux host for about 6 months now. I've done it 2 other times. The last time, I had to do a sysprep on Windows before the move would work. That also forced a phone call to MSFT to get the license key enabled. That VM will be archived in January, likely never to be used again, but I might need it once a year for a few days (taxes).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If the VirtualBox image resides on a network server, then you could access the image from multiple locations. From experience, this method can make the VM too slow and unresponsive. (Also, since it's Windows, you could only launch it on one machine at a time to avoid licensing issues.)

You could write a script that uses the VBoxManage command-line tool to clone the VM or use the Import/Export options. Creating the clone and moving it to the other machine would require some scripting on your part.

By the way, LibreOffice read and writes files in the Microsoft formats like docx and xlsx. Maybe you don't need Windows as much as you think you do.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:58 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you both for the valuable information. The Fu, you always provide some great answers and I'm appreciative of your help. I am running a special super slim version of Windows 10 in my VM, so my entire Windows installation is 14GB. I do this to increase the performance of my Windows machine under the VM, since I only need the basic features (mainly Office & Rufus and a few others). So does my installation being 14GB change your answer at all? I think 14GB is small enough to copy over my network pretty fast. But due to the apparently complicated nature of what I'm trying to do, I think I may end up just having a separate VM on each machine (laptop and desktop), and then I can use shared folders and cloud storage to zip my files back and forth. Or I may end up doing as Fu suggested and doing all of this over remote desktop. Thank you all for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use Virtualbox and I activated my Windows 7 system on my laptop and copied it afterwards to my desktop. Now I run and update Windows 7 on both laptop and desktop! I have done the same for Windows 10 (Evaluation Copy). I installed and activated Windows XP in early 2011 in a VM and XP has run over time on 3 different desktops (Pentium 4, Phenom II and Ryzen 3) and 2 laptops (Athlon TK55 and i5-2520M). I think Windows, allows you to move an activated VM to another Host Machine, they have too otherwise all server farms, assigning the VMs dynamically to a host machine based on load or after a HW failure, would collapse.

I use rsync to sync the user data between laptop and desktop and for me it works, since I only update a few small files each week, The biggest are Linux ISO files.

I update my VMs on laptop and desktop independently of each other, since one processor is a 4-core and the other a 2-core. If not I have to adapt each time the number of processors, update the hex network adapter address, the host names and edit the conky file differences. I prefers to run the update.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:27 AM.