Thread: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2, missing codepage or he

Beans

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2, missing codepage or he

Hi everyone,
    I have a partition running on my Mac with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. It started recently that I could only boot into a black screen in Mac OS and now the partition in the boot menu has completely disappeared. Since Ubuntu still runs top I would like to use it to access my Mac partition and backup the data. Unfortunately I can't mount it and get the following error message: "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error" I hope you can help me.
    Also any other idea how I could get the data from the Mac partition is more then welcome.
    Thanks a lot

pd.: to mount the drive I tried the commands:

Code:
    sudo mount -o force /dev/sda2 /media/mntpoint/
    Code:
    sudo mount -t auto /dev/sda2 /media/mntpoint/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2, missing codepage o

If the superblock is bad, you are not likely to get anything from the drive. The first thing that you need to do is to clone the drive and then work only on the one or the other. Get a copy made now before any more data is lost.

Beans

Re: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2, missing codepage o

You do have hfsplus and hfsprogs packages installed, correct?

Beans

You do have hfsplus and hfsprogs packages installed, correct?
    That would be the first thing to check/do as very few if any LInux systems have that software installed in a default installation.

Beans

Thanks for that advice!!
    Would you clone the entire drive or just the mac partition? Cloning with dd command sounds good?

Beans

Thanks for the answers
    hfsplus and hfsprogs both are installed.