Thread: Ubuntu 19.04 create a link to URL

Beans

Ubuntu 19.04 create a link to URL

Evidently in Ubuntu 19.04 it is no longer possible to drag a link from a web browser, such as Firefox, into a folder, so that when I double click the link the web page in my default web browser opens. Since I can not do this by drag and drop how can I manually create such a link inside a Nautilus ( or Nemo ) folder ?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 19.04 create a link to URL

If I grab the link "General Help" from above and drag it into a Thunar window on my XUbuntu 18.04 a .desktop-file (which is just a text-file with the extension ".desktop" and the right structure ...) is created with this content:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Link
    Name=General Help
    Comment=
    Icon=user-bookmarks
    URL=https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331
    You could try to use this as a template and see whether it works.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

For Nemo,
    1. If your Mouse Has a Center Button

You just Center-Click and drag the file to where you want it to go, and when you release the center-button/wheel, a menu will pop up asking you if you want to Move, Copy, or Link the file.

Choose Link, of course.
    2. If Your Mouse DOESN'T Have a Center Button

You Left-Click and drag the file to where you want it to go, but right before you release the left-button, hold down the Alt key, then release the left-button, and a menu will pop up asking you if you want to Move, Copy, or Link the file.

Choose Link, of course.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    For Nemo,
    1. If your Mouse Has a Center Button

You just Center-Click and drag the file to where you want it to go, and when you release the center-button/wheel, a menu will pop up asking you if you want to Move, Copy, or Link the file.

Choose Link, of course.
    2. If Your Mouse DOESN'T Have a Center Button

You Left-Click and drag the file to where you want it to go, but right before you release the left-button, hold down the Alt key, then release the left-button, and a menu will pop up asking you if you want to Move, Copy, or Link the file.

Choose Link, of course.
    No menu popped up but it automatically created a link, which is what I wanted. Thanks !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Awesome, and glad that worked out.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags