Thread: Can't move files off desktop in Ubuntu 19.1

Beans

Can't move files off desktop in Ubuntu 19.1

Hey, not sure where to look for help but I just installed Ubuntu 19.1 and now I can't drag and drop nor copy and place any desktop file to another location (ex. put music file in music folder). I'm no expert so the solution is probably easy. I've got the permissions right. File will just fly back to original place. Trash is the only place I can drop them (right click). Thank you for your attention.

Beans

Re: Can't move files off desktop in Ubuntu 19.1

Please clarify your version. Are you running ubuntu 19.04 or 19.10? 19.10 is still in development.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Move them within the Files program.

19.XX (doesn't matter which, they both are affected) removed the old way it functioned.
    It now uses a gnome extension to provide the ability to have icons on the desktop.
    The extension doesn't have the same abilities as the old method did.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    <snip>19.XX (doesn't matter which, they both are affected) removed the old way it functioned.
    <snip>
    Thanks for the mention. I haven't place files on the desktop for a long time to notice this in action.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

you can always use mv to to move the file to a different directory (mv <filename> <new directory>)

Beans

Thank you for responding-it's 19.1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MukeeWrench View Post
    Thank you for responding-it's 19.1
    Please re-read uRock's post #2 again. Is it 19.04 or 19.10? There is no such release as 19.1. The number after the period refers to the month of release.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

I don't care to have desktop files but there are two hard drives I have in separate storage for backup and and this helps me to see what I need to copy there periodically. Especially additional family photos both sent and received.

Beans

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it is 19.10 Update after reading uRock"s post: I found what I needed. If I open my Home file and open the destination file (ex. Photos), I can move desktop files in the windows shown. Just can't drag them from desktop itself to any new location. It works for this user. Thank you to all who replied to my question. I really need to stick to stable versions. To you who are command-line experts, I tip my hat to you. Long way for me to go before I can be of help here at forums.
    Last edited by MukeeWrench; September 21st, 2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Message listed as one character to short