Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti Cloud

Beans

Post Anti Cloud

Hi,

After reading the “Ars Technica” article published few days ago titled “Everything as a Service” and thereafter reading a lot of similar articles and judging the current situation going on in the IT it seems quite logical that everything is moving towards the cloud.

Microsoft has just moved its Office into the cloud. Further their plans include moving their other products and also the Windows operating system into the cloud. The biggest hurdle for letting people retain powerful physical/local computers is gaming. And it seems with Google’s Stadia platform it too would move to the cloud. But gaming would require some time for Google, Microsoft or Sony to move it towards the cloud as they would need to wait for the further improvement and upgrading of the internet like dealing with the latency and other issues in the infrastructure throughout the world and for the 5g technology to mature. But it would be just a matter of time when gaming too would move toward the cloud.

At present the internet in most areas of the world is quite capable of running operating systems, majority of software and apps quite efficiently. Personally I hate cloud computing. I also know the majority of people hate it too. I am anti cloud computing. I like physical/ local computing. I want to have control over the operating system I use, software/apps I use and the games I play. I don’t need all of these as a service. Most of the people don’t. But judging by the situation when large corporations switch everything towards the cloud this would bring an end to powerful PCs desktops and laptops, Smartphones or related hardware availability anywhere to buy. Instead we would find thin client computers having barely enough power to connect to internet and browse.

So even if we wish to install and use Linux we won’t be able to. Whatever efforts the many Linux and open source communities have put in Linux and open source software, making them close to Windows and proprietary software in performance as well as putting a lot of efforts into making gaming on Linux work would go in vain.

I think people should unite and take a stand against all this and raise their voices against cloud computing otherwise we would lose our freedom. We would have to subscribe to do everything we do today on our computers we won’t have control and we won’t own anything. Everything would be only available to us as a service. I think there should be an Anti Cloud community just like the free software community to deal with this problem. Kindly share your opinions. Best regards.
    Last edited by deadflowr; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:14 PM. Reason: reset font size to forum defaults

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Anti Cloud

"I like big clouds and I can't lie,
    all those data brokers' can't deny,
    with little bit of haste and a lot less hardware waste,
    tech support be sprung,
    they don't have to worry about their servers being hung,"

I would keep going but my coffee evaporated into the cloud. In all seriousness, they've learned that they can make more money by offering cloud services and small companies learned they can save more by letting Amazon or whoever manage the servers. Just as companies have learned that it is much cheaper to pay a support vendor to remote in and fix local desktop issues than it is to hire full time desktop support personnel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

First - wall of text == BAD. I almost didn't bother reading.

Linux isn't at any risk.
    Linux has better performance than Windows, by far. No comparison.
    You can run all your old "cloudy" applications if you like. They can be on the public cloud, in a private cloud or installed to a small IoT device like a Raspberry Pi, if you prefer.

I'm anti-cloudy applications too. Putting my data, on someone else's computer, on someone else's storage, at the end of someone else's network, just seems ... foolish. But with that stance comes responsibilities. Not everyone is willing to step up and accept those responsibilities.

Upgrading my communications server is a hassle, but I know it is my responsibility. If I wasn't willing to do it, I'd probably use protonmail instead. By far, maintaining that server is the hardest of all that I run.
    Nextcloud is a slight hassle. It breaks from time to time and needs a few hrs of love every quarter or so. Plus, I'm willing to take chances with my install, since I won't put anything important on nextcloud. Most of the files it holds are through read-only NFS mounts which can only be modified by other systems, also hosted here.

There is a time to use IAAS.
    There is a time to use SAAS.
    Both have liabilities, but so does running your own systems on your own hardware. If I needed 2-4 VPS systems, I'd use IAAS. I need over 20, so hosting it from my home-office **is** much more cost effective, for my needs. We are all different with different requirements. One size doesn't fit everyone.

For people interested in hosting their own stuff ... some ideas: https://github.com/sovereign/sovereign
    Last edited by TheFu; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Linux isn't at any risk.
    Yeah, I don't think so either. Maybe one or two distributions may fall that direction. Heck, even if most of them fell in that direction, there would still be some out there that didn't.

One of the best things about the Linux world is choice.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

"Clouds" are very valuable if you are running Internet-facing servers. I have three virtual machines hosted at Linode. Much better choice for hosting web sites and mail servers than a physical server in an office or rack-mount space. Someone else is responsible for things like power and air-conditioning, and I have a big pipe out to the Internet that I could never afford on my own. I also have public IP addresses with no restrictions. Running a mail server in a home office is pretty much impossible these days because outbound SMTP connections are often blocked to protect against spambots.

I've run physical servers and hated having to deal with problems like dead hard drives.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I've run physical servers and hated having to deal with problems like dead hard drives.
    This problem can be minimized by virtualizing servers. Obviously you'd have to decide on priority of mission critical application to sort what can be virtualized and what would need to be restricted to hardware only.

Beans
    Distro

you can still have dead hard drives in the cloud. they just work around it by decrementing your redundancy level until the replication finishes in a couple minutes. that goes fast because everyone affected by that dead drive has their live copies spread all around in different places, unlike RAID. so the drive access conflicts are just mixed in with all the other activity. and this is all automated.

a dead machine has the greatest impact. one or more virtual machines has a hard reboot done automatically (unless you flagged it to be stopped, instead). again, it's all automated (then it sends a human to go replace the machine, eventually).

and that's just IaaS.

then there's SaaS, where lots of cloud users are moving to.

i love it all. with the click of a rodent i can build a new system or make a bad install just vanish.
    Last edited by Skaperen; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:39 AM.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    you can still have dead hard drives in the cloud.
    Nobody mentioned dead drives in the cloud...

Beans

Guys most of your replies are covering the commercial and technical aspects of cloud computing.

Viewing it in a broader sense I would ask your opinions about the general users who use their own physical PCs, both laptops and desktops, smartphones, tablets etc. That’s not to say we should ignore commercial users like small businesses and large enterprises.

I am not totally against the cloud but I think that cloud computing and local computing should co-exist. The cloud should not mean the total end of local computing. Although the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, I feel somehow local computing would survive and not be completely viped out in the future and there would still be general users as well as commercial users small and large enterprises doing local computing.

What you think about that? Kindly inform your point of view.
    Last edited by anticloud; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by anticloud View Post
    Guys most of your replies are covering the commercial and technical aspects of cloud computing. Viewing it in a broader sense I would ask your opinions about the general users who use their own physical PCs, both laptops and desktops, smartphones, tablets etc. That’s not to say we should ignore commercial users like small businesses and large enterprises. I am not totally against the cloud but I think that cloud computing and local computing should co-exist. The cloud should not mean the total end of local computing. And I feel that somehow local computing would not be completely viped out in the future and there would still be general users as well as commercial users small and large enterprises doing local computing. What you think about that? Kindly inform your point of view.
    At least half of my friends no longer use a desktop computer for more than web browsing, if they even have a computer. They do most things on their phones. The only friends who do more than that at home are techies, school teachers, or PC gamers.

I know several people who do everything on their phones. They can't afford internet and their PCs were PWNed by malware or just broken years ago and can't afford to have them fixed, nor have the smarts to do so themselves. I also have high income friends who don't use computers because they just don't have a need for them outside of work, so they use their phones for everything.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast