Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti Cloud

Beans

Re: Anti Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    i do agree local and personal computing needs to continue to be available. but we need to take an even wider view. almost everyone knows that the majority of smartphones run Android, which is a Linux distribution with a modified kernel. do you know that millions of other devices run some form of Linux, too. whether it is Linux, or Windows, or something else (there are a few proprietary embedded OS choices out there), the world is moving in the direction of computing devices in all kinds devices we use or are affected by, or not.

so how will this affect us? this will be a positive force while also removing a lot of motivation from many people to have a computing device they fully control (can load any workable OS onto). the positive will be development kits existing. this will be, for as long as people can independently create any product we wish to. the negative will be the markets and finances. will we have the cash to develop a device that is all open computing for what will likely be a diminishing market.

"granpa, you mean, real people actually steered where the car goes, in real time?"

"granpa, you mean, real people actually wrote processor software without the logic integrator?"

the future is us.
    I agree with you. Cloud computing has its own advantages and Local computing has its own. So they both should exist side by side. It gives people the choice to use whichever model of computing they like. It should not be allowed that one model completely dominates the other model and leave people with just one model to choose eliminating the other model. Both of the computing models have their own advantages, market and there are limitless opportunities for innovation in both of them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I do proofreading of university assignments for international students (their first language is not English). I can't edit their material on a phone, and I think they'd be struggling to write 5000 to 12,000 words that way.

Of course, what their computers are connected to is a different matter.
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions
    BACKUP before installing or upgrading.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I wasn't a cloud fan either until today when
    I realized I could put some cell programs I'm using for my house rebuild in the cloud. Before I needed a specific os to open them. Not anymore. I do have a cell phone but its normally off. PC's almost exclusively.

Beans

I don't see OS level things going to the cloud. For one, Microsoft has already said (how much can we trust that? IDK) that they will not make Windows SAAS. That would require full cloud for it to be so. Second, it isn't practical for the majority of the world. I think those who live in areas with a hundred+mb/1gb internet forget that most of the world does not have that kind of access. I can't even get higher than 11mb in Arizona in the states, and this country started the internet. Much of the world is in the same boat. Until that is solved, no worries for cloud takeover.

There will always be a need for local hardware and usability. I do however believe that OS agnostic software is the future. We already see this. I don't use but as I understand, Photoshop has a browser based version. Others include Quickbooks, Office, Google Docs. All major things used by the majority of small businesses in the world. These may not be as full featured, but they are getting better. Most home users don't do anything other than web browsing anyway so they are already in it. Gamers will always need real hardware and local software. Latency matters. I've seen people complain about 50-75 ms ping on online games. They won't tolerate it from so called single player offline games that they stream.

Then you have the trust issue. Yes some things are slowly moving that way, but who can really trust it. Seems every single day is another privacy breach by someone. And they don't seem to inclined to fix them because they get hit with a tiny non existent fine, and back to business as usual. It's less to pay the fine than fix the issues in most cases. People just don't trust it all the way. I have a few friends who love to take pictures. They already don't put anything online because they just don't trust it. Many people do, but many don't. You would need a global trust of the internet for pure cloud to work, something that won't happen.

As far as losing Linux specifically. Not happening. Remember that 75-85%? of the internet runs on Linux of some sort so that fixes that almost by itself. That includes most cloud stuff. Then the source is available online. People can get and compile, do whatever they want. The only way that open source would become unusable is for them to eliminate local storage completely. And that will never happen.

Full cloud is going to be an all or nothing thing. It won't be partway. And that won't happen without some major changes in global networking, peoples perception, and necessity.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:27 PM.

Beans

Hey guys,

Just read it for yourselves how Cloud computing will take away everything from you what you freely use now:

http://www.klientsolutech.com/how-wi...in-the-future/

I hope this would give you a better understanding.
    Last edited by anticloud; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I don't see OS level things going to the cloud. For one, Microsoft has already said (how much can we trust that? IDK) that they will not make Windows SAAS. That would require full cloud for it to be so. Second, it isn't practical for the majority of the world. I think those who live in areas with a hundred+mb/1gb internet forget that most of the world does not have that kind of access. I can't even get higher than 11mb in Arizona in the states, and this country started the internet. Much of the world is in the same boat. Until that is solved, no worries for cloud takeover.

There will always be a need for local hardware and usability. I do however believe that OS agnostic software is the future. We already see this. I don't use but as I understand, Photoshop has a browser based version. Others include Quickbooks, Office, Google Docs. All major things used by the majority of small businesses in the world. These may not be as full featured, but they are getting better. Most home users don't do anything other than web browsing anyway so they are already in it. Gamers will always need real hardware and local software. Latency matters. I've seen people complain about 50-75 ms ping on online games. They won't tolerate it from so called single player offline games that they stream.

Then you have the trust issue. Yes some things are slowly moving that way, but who can really trust it. Seems every single day is another privacy breach by someone. And they don't seem to inclined to fix them because they get hit with a tiny non existent fine, and back to business as usual. It's less to pay the fine than fix the issues in most cases. People just don't trust it all the way. I have a few friends who love to take pictures. They already don't put anything online because they just don't trust it. Many people do, but many don't. You would need a global trust of the internet for pure cloud to work, something that won't happen.

As far as losing Linux specifically. Not happening. Remember that 75-85%? of the internet runs on Linux of some sort so that fixes that almost by itself. That includes most cloud stuff. Then the source is available online. People can get and compile, do whatever they want. The only way that open source would become unusable is for them to eliminate local storage completely. And that will never happen.

Full cloud is going to be an all or nothing thing. It won't be partway. And that won't happen without some major changes in global networking, peoples perception, and necessity.

Tadaen_Sylvermane,

Great analysis. I wish and hope that things in the world unfold accordingly.

Beans
    Distro

Students use PCs, mostly at school, maybe at home for school work (if not for gaming). But we turn in a lot of our assignments by uploading them to a cloud server, hosted by the school or by a vendor the school hires. Google Docs is popular for that. You still can't use a phone to write a term paper with all the formatting, footnotes, etc. On a cloud service all I would need would be a dumb terminal connected to the Internet, and all the software is in the cloud as well as my schoolwork. Privacy? Forget about that. No one worries about privacy because it's assumed that there's no such thing anymore.

I use a PC because I don't trust the cloud, I don't like the idea of running all my apps and storing all my work on someone else' computer. I keep it safe on my own hard disk drive, backed up on USB sticks. I upload it to the school server because that's what the professor wants, but that server has lost other kids' work in the past, so I keep a copy myself.

I have an Android phone but I use it basically only for phone calls and text messages. All that other "smart" stuff is baffling and even a little scary to me. But I'm probably the exception to the rule, being a technophobe from a race of technophobes. Most of my classmates use cell phones for everything except school work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You need at least a computer to access the cloud, unless you consider your cell phone a non-computing device.

Beans
    Distro

many of my friends and family are now using pad devices for that "big" display and when i tell them it's still small they yank out the HDMI cable and head to the 52 inch TV.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro

i keep my precious data at home and back it up in the cloud, encrypted here. i have a bootable USB memory stick with the decryption software and its source code on it. the decryption key for my backups is there, too, encrypted with a long pass phrase i can remember.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast