Thread: Who Uses Anti-malware on Android?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Who Uses Anti-malware on Android?

I've been having an issue where my Android phone is going through the battery power within 4-6 hours, though until recently it would have 80% left when I hooked it up after a day of use.

The only 3rd party apps I've installed are Chome, BofA's app, and the app for my Thinkware cam in my truck.

I usually kill all non system apps when I am done with doing things on it.

It seems to be warm every time I pick it up.

What anti-malware should I install and run on it to see what's going on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Who Uses Anti-malware on Android?

See this: https://www.androidauthority.com/bes...d-apps-269696/
    No anti-malware here. Do you use a VPN? WiFi radar?
    pre-loaded Google Play Protect should be good enough.
    Maybe a system back-up and a reset.
    A new analysis from Austrian antivirus testers AV-Comparatives claims that most AV apps on Android are ineffective, and some are downright frauds.
    https://www.av-comparatives.org/test...2019-250-apps/
    Last edited by 1fallen; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:48 PM. Reason: added to
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Bit defender has a free app I have used for general a scan . As you know a free app may only flag something obvious AVG, Avast, and Avira all have paid apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...virus&hl=en_US
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Bit defender has a free app I have used for general a scan . As you know a free app may only flag something obvious AVG, Avast, and Avira all have paid apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...virus&hl=en_US
    Thanks. I just ran it but it didn't find anything. I'm guessing it must be one of the Samsung or AT&T apps deciding to run and drain the battery. I dream of a day we have a smart phone OS that doesn't run apps to see what music or movies one is enjoying on other devices.

Thanks Frogs Hair!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Thanks. I just ran it but it didn't find anything. I'm guessing it must be one of the Samsung or AT&T apps deciding to run and drain the battery. I dream of a day we have a smart phone OS that doesn't run apps to see what music or movies one is enjoying on other devices.

Thanks Frogs Hair!
    if you have Samsung, there is a setting for device maintenance. sometimes when you close the applications it would crash and stay opened in the background. then it drains the battery. i was once shocked when it nearly completely drained overnight. i thought i would have to get a new one, but then i remembered and device maintenance cleared up a crashed app. it now works normally again.

next, check if there are any applications that have notifications enabled. if you don't need them, disable them. otherwise they run in the background or at least they do periodic calls to home servers. and sometimes they don't work as they should and well... see above.

sometimes, after update, something can go wrong and the update is not completed or done well. an app has to be completely removed and reinstalled or at least reset in a way - e.g. clear cache... (i think the options are in one of the applications settings)

i also found out that it is good to reboot the phone every once in a while.

finally, it is good to install a terminal app (termius and termux work well). they don't take much space and you can then run top to see what is going on. well many other linux commands for troubleshooting will work there as well. though there is no systemd i believe. but you can SSH to server ...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    if you have Samsung, there is a setting for device maintenance. sometimes when you close the applications it would crash and stay opened in the background. then it drains the battery. i was once shocked when it nearly completely drained overnight. i thought i would have to get a new one, but then i remembered and device maintenance cleared up a crashed app. it now works normally again.

next, check if there are any applications that have notifications enabled. if you don't need them, disable them. otherwise they run in the background or at least they do periodic calls to home servers. and sometimes they don't work as they should and well... see above.

sometimes, after update, something can go wrong and the update is not completed or done well. an app has to be completely removed and reinstalled or at least reset in a way - e.g. clear cache... (i think the options are in one of the applications settings)

i also found out that it is good to reboot the phone every once in a while.

finally, it is good to install a terminal app (termius and termux work well). they don't take much space and you can then run top to see what is going on. well many other linux commands for troubleshooting will work there as well. though there is no systemd i believe. but you can SSH to server ...
    It is a Samsung. I will give these a try in a little while.
    I do restart regularly. At least once every three days.

Thanx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)