Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Existing installation, move drive to new machine?

Beans

Existing installation, move drive to new machine?

Can I move an ssd with Ubuntu already installed and fully configured to a new machine with any trouble? Or will it require a full fresh installation? I know Windows chokes when this is done, never questioned about Linux though. If this can be done it solves a great deal of problems for me with minimal downtime.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Existing installation, move drive to new machine?

The only thing that I would be concerned with is drivers for wifi, video, and sound cards. You may want to remove them first.

I have an HD that has been in probably 20+ machines with no issues whatsoever. I plop it in and it has always worked. The first boot on it normally takes 10-20 seconds longer than subsequent boots (as it sees new hardware and configures it), but after that I have had no issues at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I've moved drives a number of times as well with no issues. Linux is remarkably robust in this way, but then it isn't keeping track of licenses like Microsoft does. When you first start Windows, it creates a license key based on features of the hardware and stores that on MS's servers. When you move the drive, the key doesn't match.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

As far as drivers I have nothing special. No custom graphics drivers, no wifi, no special sound. It's just whatever comes with Ubuntu. The current machine is an AMD based system, it would change to Intel. I'm guessing it would just load the proper stuff on as needed?

Current machine is an AMD Kabini APU. I don't know if the install blacklisted or whatever on video drivers. Not even sure how to check that.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Just pop it in and see if it works. Empiricism is the best approach for a lot of computer issues. You can't damage anything.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have never had it not work. AMD to Intel and back to AMD. Whatever. Like I stated before, it is a drive that I have had for years. I kept it just for checking machines out. Actually, come to think of it, I have 2 of them: one IDE and one SATA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unlike Windows, Linux keeps drivers for most devices in the kernel itself, and does device detection at every startup, so moving the system drive from box to box is largely business as usual at the next startup.

The only exceptions are drivers for devices with a proprietary license (some video, some ethernet, some wi-fi, some bluetooth and printers, scanners and other I/O devices) because they cannot be included in the kernel for legal reasons.
    regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If UEFI system, new system will not have the UEFI boot entry.
    You should be able to boot a fallback or hard drive boot entry then use efibootmgr to create new UEFI boot entry for Ubuntu.
    Or you can use Boot-Repair from an Ubuntu live installer and totally reinstall grub which uses efibootmgr to create the "ubuntu" entry in your new systems UEFI one time boot menu, often f10 or f12.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you all for answers. I will report back when the chip shows up to get the other machine running. I'll drop it in and report what happens, either way. Everything you have all said tells me I should have zero problems. But I will post back when I find out for sure. New i5 chip will be here on Saturday roughly, although I likely won't get to messing with it till Monday or so.

Beans

We have success so far. It booted with no difficulty. I had to chase down how to fix hdmi sound but once done it works great. Forced the issue with a custom default.pa in /home/"$ONLYUSER"/.config/pulse/default.pa. Runs like a top. The Ripjaw ram sticks I had in the old machine didn't fit, heat spreader too tall. Changed them to my desktop and taking the regular sticks from there into the server / htpc. Very pleased thus far. I do appreciate the replies. It went perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast