Thread: [18.04] New to Linux, HELP configuring my proxy settings

Beans

[18.04] New to Linux, HELP configuring my proxy settings

Hi, I have installed Ubuntu to try out on a PC at work although I am having issues configuring it to work with our proxy.

I have entered the proxy details, IP and port into the gui and applied the settings. I open up firefox, it lets me navigate to google.co.uk no problem, lets me search, no search result actually works though. bbc.co.uk displays but half of the content doesn't display properly.

The proxy server is a 'smoothwall guardian 3'. I have also downloaded/installed the security certificates for https which didnt seem to help. I have tried multiple possible solutions I have found online, adding the details to apt.conf or proxy.conf etc...

Please help, I hope I haven't been too vague, any screenshots or further details that would help with troubleshooting, please let me know.

Thanks in advance, Arran.

(PS. I have almost no knowledge of linux, so take it easy no me lol)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: [18.04] New to Linux, HELP configuring my proxy settings

Have you consulted with anyone at work to discuss what proxy settings are needed?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Re: [18.04] New to Linux, HELP configuring my proxy settings

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, they are even less familiar with linux than myself. We are on a 2008 R2 AD network, I assume its the authentication that is causing me issues? is there any way I can authenticate without having to join the domain?

UPDATE: I can now navigate to sites and they are displaying content correctly, since downloading google chrome and installing the http/ssl certificate. I still cant run any apt commands though
    Last edited by arranej9; September 18th, 2019 at 08:22 AM.