Thread: Ubuntu on 2018 Vaio S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Ubuntu on 2018 Vaio S

Hello,

Anyone out there using Ubuntu on a 2018 Vaio S laptop?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on 2018 Vaio S

I run Ubuntu Budgie on my 2007 Sony Vaio. Does that count

What problems are you having? And what are you running, 10.04?

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, my signature was way out of date. I don't yet own a 2018 Vaio S but I'm considering buying one and I'd be putting 18.04 on it. I expect some initial minor trouble getting it installed, but I wonder if anyone can say they have had success with getting 18.04 or newer installed and running.

Beans

I see
    I am of no real help then, but can suggest looking at the linux support offered for the components like drivers for the video and wifi.

I did a search on "sony vaio s linux" and got several hits. From what I see so far Linux is not a problem.

This was interesting
    https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/pdf/VAIO+Linux.pdf

Good Luck

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For hardware this new you should not focus on 18.04. If it works you are lucky, if it doesn't then I suggest that you leave it and try the safe bet 19.04 (or 19.10, depending on your date of purchase).
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    For hardware this new you should not focus on 18.04. If it works you are lucky, if it doesn't then I suggest that you leave it and try the safe bet 19.04 (or 19.10, depending on your date of purchase).
    Thanks, good practical advice even if it isn't really what I wanted to hear. Last time I bought a Vaio laptop was 2011 and 10.04 would not install on it. We've been (painfully, at this point) running 11.10 on it since. I will try 18.04 but as you say I will likely have to put 19.04/19.10 on it, and I'll be sure to upgrade to 20.04 as soon as I can.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From a quick look at the specs there's nothing that stands out as too problematic. Intel graphics are well supported out of the box. I haven't been able to check who made the WiFi/Bluetooth chip: again, Intel ones are well supported, the support for others varies. The fingerprint sensor probably won't work.

FWIW, Dell sell laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled. You may find that you can get a laptop that's just as nice as the one you're interested in, but without the uncertainty.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    From a quick look at the specs there's nothing that stands out as too problematic. Intel graphics are well supported out of the box. I haven't been able to check who made the WiFi/Bluetooth chip: again, Intel ones are well supported, the support for others varies. The fingerprint sensor probably won't work.

FWIW, Dell sell laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled. You may find that you can get a laptop that's just as nice as the one you're interested in, but without the uncertainty.
    Thanks for the comments, CatKiller. I should have done that myself!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you have been running 11.10 until today you should consider yourself pwned.

I recommend that you get onto something supported as soon as possible, for example a clean install of X/Lubuntu 18.04.3 which should run great on 2011 hardware. After this, change all passwords which have ever been entered.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.