Thread: $PATH reports: No such file or directory

Threaded View

Beans

$PATH reports: No such file or directory

hey everyone,

having a bit of an issue with my ubuntu currently and even though I have the suspicion that I'm close to a solution I'm not profficient enough in linux to solve it.

Running a Ubuntu 18.04 fresh install, issue is that my dkpg gives install-info errors when I update/install packages, i'll first describe the main issue I'm facing:

When I run any apt-get update/install/remove command after the initial gathering of the package I get the following message (no matter what I try to run/get):

Setting up install-info (6.5.0.dfsg.1-2) ...
    /usr/sbin/update-info-dir: 1: /etc/environment: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games: not found
    dpkg: error processing package install-info (--configure):
    installed install-info package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    install-info
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I suspect it involves something in my /etc/environment file, but I cannot find anything off with it; my hope is someone here can see the problem.
    Heres my /etc/environment file;

$PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
    $linux_ip = 192.168.100.38
    $linux_hostname = "vmwbpap03"
    $domain = "intern.domainname.nl"
    $ad_ip = 192.168.1.2
    $ad_hostname = "Hostname AD"

The current main problem i see is that when I Type $PATH in the console I get the following message:

root@vmwbpapp03:~# $PATH
    -bash: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin: No such file or directory

--

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Any and all suggestions on how to proceed/solve this would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by wardenburg; September 16th, 2019 at 12:35 PM.