Thread: $PATH reports: No such file or directory

Beans

$PATH reports: No such file or directory

hey everyone,

having a bit of an issue with my ubuntu currently and even though I have the suspicion that I'm close to a solution I'm not profficient enough in linux to solve it.

Running a Ubuntu 18.04 fresh install, issue is that my dkpg gives install-info errors when I update/install packages, i'll first describe the main issue I'm facing:

When I run any apt-get update/install/remove command after the initial gathering of the package I get the following message (no matter what I try to run/get):

Setting up install-info (6.5.0.dfsg.1-2) ...
    /usr/sbin/update-info-dir: 1: /etc/environment: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games: not found
    dpkg: error processing package install-info (--configure):
    installed install-info package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    install-info
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I suspect it involves something in my /etc/environment file, but I cannot find anything off with it; my hope is someone here can see the problem.
    Heres my /etc/environment file;

$PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
    $linux_ip = 192.168.100.38
    $linux_hostname = "vmwbpap03"
    $domain = "intern.domainname.nl"
    $ad_ip = 192.168.1.2
    $ad_hostname = "Hostname AD"

The current main problem i see is that when I Type $PATH in the console I get the following message:

root@vmwbpapp03:~# $PATH
    -bash: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin: No such file or directory

--

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Any and all suggestions on how to proceed/solve this would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by wardenburg; September 16th, 2019 at 12:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: $PATH reports: No such file or directory

Quote Originally Posted by wardenburg View Post
    ...The current main problem i see is that when I Type $PATH in the console I get the following message:...

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Any and all suggestions on how to proceed/solve this would be greatly appreciated
    To get rid of the bash error message and show the path use the command...
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    Just expanding the system path as a command is why you are getting the "-bash: ... No such file or directory" error.

Try echoing the system path with the command above to see the path.

I'm not particularly sure about the original dpkg aspect of your post, await further help on that.

Regards, yeti.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

:/snap/bin=/

The = sign looks odd to me in your $PATH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I suspect it involves something in my /etc/environment file, but I cannot find anything off with it; my hope is someone here can see the problem.
    Heres my /etc/environment file;
    Code:
    $PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
    $linux_ip = 192.168.100.38
    $linux_hostname = "vmwbpap03"
    $domain = "intern.domainname.nl"
    $ad_ip = 192.168.1.2
    $ad_hostname = "Hostname AD"
    If you really have a $ at the start of each line, then that's your problem. These should not be there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spjackson View Post
    If you really have a $ at the start of each line, then that's your problem. These should not be there.
    Hey There spjackson,

First off thanks for the reply- the $ are indeed there (I reckon these were placed there following this assp guide I followed, I dont consider myself an expert linux user to do these changes without a guide)

I attempted to remove them resulting in;

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
    linux_ip = 192.168.100.38
    linux_hostname = "vmwbpap03"
    domain = "intern.domainname.nl"
    ad_ip = 192.168.1.2
    ad_hostname = "Hostname AD"
    I'm attempting to install sqlite3 with the 'apt-get install sqlite3' command. resulting in the following error:

Preconfiguring packages ...
    /usr/sbin/update-info-dir: 2: /etc/environment: linux_ip: not found
    dpkg: error processing package install-info (--configure):
    installed install-info package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    install-info
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Noting the linux_ip error I tried the following environment:

which resulted in the following error:

Preparing to unpack .../sqlite3_3.22.0-1ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb ...Unpacking sqlite3 (3.22.0-1ubuntu0.1) ...
    Setting up sqlite3 (3.22.0-1ubuntu0.1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (5 vs 9).
    Affected packages: install-info:amd64
    So I suppose that the problem has something to do with the environment but I'm at a loss where to begin with how to solve this.

Beans

My /etc/environment just includes the PATH. Are those other items designed to join a Microsoft Active Directory network? I suggest you dump them until you get everything working correctly.

/etc/environment
    Code:
    PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games"
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

First off thanks for the reply- the $ are indeed there (I reckon these were placed there following this assp guide I followed, I dont consider myself an expert linux user to do these changes without a guide)

I attempted to remove them resulting in;
    Code:
    linux_hostname = "vmwbpap03"
    domain = "intern.domainname.nl"
    ad_ip = 192.168.1.2
    ad_hostname = "Hostname AD"

I'm attempting to install sqlite3 with the 'apt-get install sqlite3' command. resulting in the following error:
    Code:
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    /usr/sbin/update-info-dir: 2: /etc/environment: linux_ip: not found
    Noting the linux_ip error I tried the following environment:
    man 5 environment says "The file must consist of simple NAME=VALUE pairs on separate lines." I don't think you can have the spaces before and after the =, just as with variable assignment in the shell. Sorry I missed this originally.
    In a shell:
    Code:
    linux_ip=192.168.100.38
    echo $linux_ip

But...
    Code:
    bash: linux_ip: command not found

Beans

Thumbs up Re: $PATH reports: No such file or directory

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    My /etc/environment just includes the PATH. Are those other items designed to join a Microsoft Active Directory network? I suggest you dump them until you get everything working correctly.

/etc/environment
    Code:
    PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games"
    I think this was the idea yeah, It might've been parts of my attempt to join an AD before I found the realm join command

Quote Originally Posted by spjackson View Post
    man 5 environment says "The file must consist of simple NAME=VALUE pairs on separate lines." I don't think you can have the spaces before and after the =, just as with variable assignment in the shell. Sorry I missed this originally.
    In a shell:
    Code:
    linux_ip=192.168.100.38
    echo $linux_ip

But...
    Code:
    bash: linux_ip: command not found
    This was the solution, Learning a lot here fellas. (It works now and I couldn't be happier)

Thank you so much for the help,