Thread: Sftp Backup Folder Shortcut Error

Beans

Exclamation Sftp Backup Folder Shortcut Error

Hi! I have an ubuntu server 18.04 and i have installed and congifured openssh as sftp server. I have disabled all ways to log in the server except sftp connection. My backs are in other partition so i want to create a shortcut from backup partition into my site. I made the shortcut but when i'm trying to access it from filezilla i can't because filezilla can't regognize it. What can i do for that?

I made the shortcut with this way :
    Code:
    ln -s /backuppartition /webroot/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Sftp Backup Folder Shortcut Error

Have you tried using a native sftp client like the normal CLI sftp program or a Linux file manager like Caja, Thunar, Nautilus, Nemo? I didn't test them all, but caja followed the link using the sftp:// URL perfectly. So did the sftp client program. All of them fully honored by ssh-keys for authentication too, as expected.

I would guess it is a filezilla issue. If you are stuck on Windows, might try WinSCP. I don't specifically remember whether it supports symbolic links or not, but I don't recall problems, so it probably does. I've never used filezilla.

I'm a little concerned about linking a backup area to a website. Backups usually contain lots of sensitive data. Plus, if there aren't 3 separate copies of the files, on at least 2 different machines, then it isn't a real backup.