Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Server boot fails because missing hdmi drivers

Beans

Ubuntu Server boot fails because missing hdmi drivers

Hi there!

I've installed Ubuntu Server 19.04 on my Qnap TS-469L NAS (powered by an Intel Atom x86_64 CPU).

At first I've tried to use ubuntu-19.04-live-server-amd64.iso image, but I could not get that to work because the HDMI output seems to only work in text mode with Ubuntu (in contrast to the super old and out of date proprietary qnap linux version) and the *live* isos seem to have a graphical installer.

So I found the text based installer iso ubuntu-19.04-server-amd64.iso and managed to install Ubuntu Server 19.04 on my NAS using that.

Problem now is, the installed GRUB bootloader works and starts booting into the system, but it never reaches as console, but looses it's ability to paint stuff to the screen halfway through the boot process, probably because it tries to do some fancy graphics.

How can I make it boot just into a text console, and forget about that graphics stuff?

I tried writing a "3" and or "text" in the GRUB line starting with "linux" but that didn't help, just varied the text size before my HDMI screen switches to the "No Signal" picture. I've also tried some of those https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions.

It might also be that the LUKS key entry is some graphics stuff which doesn't show because of missing graphics drivers and prevents the system from booting completely (because I don't see it in my network and the ssh server installed during setup doesn't show up)

Can somebody help me get this to work?
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Server boot fails because missing hdmi drivers

As far as I know the -server- ISO doesn't do any graphics except the basic text CLI.

Have you tried LTS release like 18.04? That is the latest LTS.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

hmm, strange. maybe it just increases the text resolution sometime during boot?

I'm trying Ubuntu 18.04 next. Currently clicking through the minimal network installer iso..

UPDATE: somethings broken in that installer. I can't setup LUKS partitions, on entering the passphrase it flashes very shortly the text:
    libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_canel to work
    And it will just ask for the same passphrase in an endless loop.

UPDATE2: just tried with ubuntu-18.04.3-server-amd64.iso - same problem. can't setup encrypted partitions with 18.04
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Are you encrypting the root partition too?
    Darko.

Beans

yes, I had planned to, but now I'm trying to install 18.04 without encryption. let's see if that works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you are encrypting root make sure you have separate /boot partition, unencrypted. I think it needs that to work correctly.

I use 18.04 with encrypted partitions for data, but not root. And it works OK for me. In fact I had set up the data partitions encryption long time ago, and then reinstalled just the OS when 18.04 came out. It picked up the old encrypted partitions without any problems.
    Darko.

Beans

18.04 shows the same behavior as 19.04. Boot process starts and shows some lines but then the display is black and the ssh server never comes online. I'm gonna try Debian now, let's see if that works any different. Installer looks very similar.

UPDATE: Debian worked, though the netinstaller took so long and I'm already so tired that I forgot what user name and password I configured hours ago. So I'm redoing the installation again and documented it a bit better this time round
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

what is the GPU chip used?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans

If you can tell me how to find that out (with a running debian 10 installation) I can tell you...

Beans

found this guide: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-...ard-installed/

$ sudo lspci -v -s 00:02.0
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 32
    Memory at c0300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    I/O ports at 4110 [size=8]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [b0] Vendor Specific Information: Len=07 <?>
    Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
    Kernel driver in use: gma500
    Kernel modules: gma500_gfx
    But after some reflection I'm no longer so sure that the HDMI / VGA stuff is at fault, because even without them it should have become visible in my LAN which it didn't.
    Luckily for me Debian 10 works, even though Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 19.04 didn't.
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast