Thread: Would someone kindly explain what kubuntu is?

Beans

Question Would someone kindly explain what kubuntu is?

I currently am using Ubuntu 18.04.

Is kubuntu another O/S of Linux? Do I have to reformat my ssd and then install kubuntu?

Can I install Kubuntu over ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Would someone kindly explain what kubuntu is?

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS is just Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with the standard GNOME desktop (as found on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop release) replaced with KDE Plasma - ie. KDE on Ubuntu 18.04 base.

Lubuntu = Ubuntu with LXDE (up to 18.04) or LXQt (18.10 up)
    Xubuntu = Ubuntu with XFCE
    Ubuntu-MATE is Ubuntu with MATE desktop
    Ubuntu-GNOME was Ubuntu with GNOME when Unity was the standard desktop, it ceased after 17.04 as Ubuntu switched back to including GNOME by default
    Ubuntu-Kylin is Ubuntu with Kylin desktop
    Ubuntu-Budgie is Ubuntu with the Budgie desktop
    Ubuntu-Studio is Ubuntu with XFCE setup for multimedia creation
    etc. ie. the same Ubuntu base - but with different DESKTOPs or GUI (graphical user interfaces)

Which is best for you - only you can decide.

Yes you can replace your Ubuntu with Kubuntu. You can also have more than one desktop on the same machine (my Ubuntu install also has the XFCE, LXQt, & MATE desktops installed; I select which I want to use at login). There are costs to having more than a single desktop installed though - not ideal when you're starting in my opinion.

If you want to keep your data, use 'something-else' in installing-over, and don't format your partitions. It will take note of your applications, erase system directories, install, then add-back your additional software you added - but not touch your data. Of course you should still backup your data to be safe.

One additional note - whilst Ubuntu 18.04 LTS comes with 5 years of supported life, official flavors of Ubuntu (such as Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu-MATE etc) only come with 3 years of supported life. (http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2019/08/08/...-lts-released/)
    Last edited by guiverc; September 13th, 2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: add info on flavors having shorter LTS lives

Beans

thanks guiverc

Beans

Well I blew away ubuntu and install Kubuntu and it is awesome. Looks great and is well organized and convenient to use. Must have been some serious brain power behind its creation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by dagmann View Post
    Well I blew away ubuntu and install Kubuntu and it is awesome. Looks great and is well organized and convenient to use. Must have been some serious brain power behind its creation.
    Great that you found a GUI which works for you. There are about 20 others, so if you like, you can try some others out. The main technique for trying different GUIs is to create a new userid for each one. This will help keep the configuration files from klobbering settings that are incompatible between the different GUIs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Another easy way to test is download a version and burn to USB then run in live mode. I "recycle" one or two USB sticks just for this kind of testing. The live environment gives you a fairly good idea of what to expect if you install to the drive.

List of distros here:
    https://distrowatch.com/

Some of the better known desktop environments reviewed here:
    https://www.slant.co/topics/343/~bes...p-environments

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

or try them out in virtualbox or similar software: https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ubuntu-on-VirtualBox

KDE is still quite consistent and looks are more or less similar through time. apps in KDE are also more refined. and lately they also come with basic options and advanced options menues. so that normal user is not overwhelmed with the choices. so i am still puzzled why they insist on using Gnome. i guess because they have mostly gnome developers. the Old gnome (now called Mate) wasn't too bad, but with new gnome i am not sure what they want to achieve. tablet/phone interface on desktop?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dagmann View Post
    Yes, the developers seem pretty smart, and they continue to work on improving the product with a global community.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Solved