Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's in charge of the Thunderbird package?

Beans

Who's in charge of the Thunderbird package?

The Thunderbird package was rumored to be (at long last) updated to v68 early september, but that time is about to pass, making the delay between the original v68 from Mozilla and availability in Ubuntu pass the half year mark. I can't find out who's in charge of the Thunderbird package, so I could ask what the hold-up in, and hopefully an ETA. A lot has improved for the best, and plugins are starting to move to a 68 minimum. Meanwhile, Mozilla has already provided a first point-release.

Hope anyone knows more about what's going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Who's in charge of the Thunderbird package?

If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/thunderbird

Even on 19.04 I have 60.8.0.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

According to the Thunderbird 68.1 Release Notes the new version is only being offered as a direct download from thunderbird.net and not as an upgrade from earlier versions. Could that be the reason we haven't yet seen an update in the Ubuntu repositories?

I think we will have to wait until Thunderbird 68.2 is released. Just my opinion. Don't quote me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The Thunderbird build of 60.9.0 from the Thunderbird Council, independent from the Mozilla Corporation since about 2012, isn't getting updated to version 68.0 until version 68.2.0 as I now understand it. I expect Ubuntu and other Linux distributions to do the same.

The Thunderbird Council did release 68.1.0 as an update to version 68.0.

I know they still have a lot of old Mozilla cruft in some areas. That might be because the Mozilla Foundation (not the developers of the fine web browser, that is the Mozilla Corporation) is the legal and financial home for Thunderbird.

If you are in a hurry to use 68.1.0 go to https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    I think we will have to wait until Thunderbird 68.2 is released. Just my opinion. Don't quote me.
    When v68.0 just came out, the same stories we're spread about 68.1. I'd just like to have some comment from an actual package maintainer. The listed team on packages.ubuntu.com is not very specific

Not sure what their sources are, but https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/08/...68-new-release mentiones early september in the update.

@walts48: the listed maintainer is not the Thunderbird council: could you link to them or where their role is defined. And where do you get your info?
    Last edited by brent; September 13th, 2019 at 03:30 PM.

Beans

The only 68 version in Debian is in the experimental repo which Ubuntu won't pull from.
    If adventurous you could try the snap from the edge channel.
    It would likely have to be set up from scratch due to the confinement bs.

Beans

Getting TB68 isn't the issue, it's wether or not it's still coming in the official packages, as some sources claim, or if the package is practically or officially orphaned.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm on an LTS. I don't want a new version. I want the deployed version, but with security fixes. Nothing more.
    I suppose if I were on the bleeding edge, a case could be made for inflicting the newest version. We are LTS-only people.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    Getting TB68 isn't the issue, it's whether or not it's still coming in the official packages, as some sources claim, or if the package is practically or officially orphaned.
    The package is not orphaned in any way in Debian or Ubuntu. You'll have to wait for 68.2 (assuming TB doesn't delay it further). Asking the maintainer(s) will not make it come any faster.
    You'll probably see 60.9 before 68.x, because 60.9 is a security update and already in Debian unstable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast