Thread: Nautilus: Desktop directory damaged

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nautilus: Desktop directory damaged

When attempting to force the deletion of a recalcitrant a file from the /home/username folder somehow the Documents directory was inadvertently deleted. The directory contained no data, I only have links to other directories in it.

I restored it from Rubbish Bin but the Documents folder was not restored to its original place in the list of directories in the left margin of Nautilus. The Documents directory has also lost its special status. Directories listed in the margin like Home, Desktop, Downloads, Music, Pictures cannot be reordered in the list by drag and drop with mouse. The altered, damaged Documents folder can be dragged but after dropping it returns to its new place on the list.

Assistance in undoing the damage I've caused to the operation of the Desktop folder in Nautilus would be appreciated.

System is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Nautilus: Desktop directory damaged

It's possible that you might be able to simply check the ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs file. It's the text file that specifies the path to those special directories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nautilus: Desktop directory damaged

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    It's possible that you might be able to simply check the ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs file.
    Yes, that was it.

This line:
    XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    had been changed to:
    XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/"

Reinstating correct text for the line and rebooting restored Documents directory to its proper place in the Nautilus margin.

Thank you.