Thread: Comment for users of OpenShot Video Editor having Crash problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Comment for users of OpenShot Video Editor having Crash problems

From some reviews of OpenShot (Ver. 2.4.4) I see many users were having trouble with crashes. Let me tell you what I found out.
    As of a week ago, I used this program on my Asus Laptop which only had 8 gig of memory. I had problems with crashes as did others. But since then I purchased a desktop with 16 gig of memory and have used OpenShot non-stop for a week and rendered some hour-long videos and a total of 52 videos in one week and not one crash. I am believing the problem with the crashes is a memory issue. Going fro 8 to 15 gig seemed to stop the crashes.
    Just thought I would pass this finding on to anyone that is having crash problems with OpenShot.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Comment for users of OpenShot Video Editor having Crash problems

not optimised properly to use swap then. i wonder would it also cause issues if /swap partition was used.

also it would be good to report it here: https://www.openshot.org/issues/new/
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

how much swap space did these 2 computers have?

you can run processes with more virtual memory than there is RAM but you need a lot of swap space. and it will be slow as a snail.

the kernel does kill off the big programs when virtual memory is used up. that might be what has been happening.

i do need to grow my 16 GB to 64 GB, i might have to settle for 32 GB.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I only have 6GB of RAM on my production machine. I have had a few crashes in the past, but to be honest, System Monitor is always open and I've not seen it spike above 80% when not running VMs. I do have 10GB of swap on SSD, so maybe that is taking up the slack.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

@Skaperen and @uRock, in case you were wondering, your replies were made in a thread started by a copy-paste spammer, who posted an exact copy of irv's original post, title included. In order to keep a useful conversation in one place, I've moved your posts to irv's thread, banned the spammer account and moved the spam copy out of public view. Thanks for your interest.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @Skaperen and @uRock, in case you were wondering, your replies were made in a thread started by a copy-paste spammer, who posted an exact copy of irv's original post, title included. In order to keep a useful conversation in one place, I've moved your posts to irv's thread, banned the spammer account and moved the spam copy out of public view. Thanks for your interest.
    That dirty little.... Thanks Coffeecat!

Thanks IRV for being the original!