Thread: Bitcoin Core 0.18.1 installation onto Ubuntu 18 Hellp Request

Beans

Bitcoin Core 0.18.1 installation onto Ubuntu 18 Hellp Request

Fellow Forum Members,

I have a new Ubuntu 18 LTS installation on my Intel x86 Dell Laptop and my goal is to install Bitcoin Core 0.18.1. Below in BOLD is the X86 64bit file name I downloaded from this site: https://bitcoincore.org/en/download/ . Unfortunately, this package includes no Installation README file which would have been very helpful:

bitcoin-0.18.1-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz

Additionally, all online installation instructions I find through Google are very badly written (example: https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#linux-instructions) and/or they show you a PPA installation method which I do not want to use because I think it is a security risk.

Can anyone be so kind to post the steps to installing the Bitcoin Core app onto an Ubuntu 18 system? Due to my weak Ubuntu skills I need help with the Ubuntu Terminal commands listed in the correct sequential order one needs to follow so this app correctly installs onto its default location. Better yet is there a way I can bypass the Terminal installation and instead use a GUI installation similar to how it is done in Windows10?

Below is the command used in the Terminal to install an app:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    However, I am not sure what follows after the "install" part. Do I just type "bitcoincore" or "bitcoin.qt"?

Also I am not sure what dependencies I need to have prepared so that bitcoincore can install correctly?

I hope someone experienced in bitcoincore software installation can give me some advice because my goal is to get familiar with this app so I can eventually send someone I know in Venezuela a fraction of bitcoin to help him out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Bitcoin Core 0.18.1 installation onto Ubuntu 18 Hellp Request

Hi, welcome to the fora.

I have never seen posts here about Bitcoin Core but the guide to which you linked looks standard Ubuntu-ish. My guess is that it's fine to follow.

It will be much easier to help you when working in the terminal. There is nothing to be afraid of, just copy-paste the commands found in the guide.

If you get stuck in a step please post the exact command you tried and its output, both in CODE tags.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.