Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you name your computers?

Hybrid View

Beans

How do you name your computers?

I maintain soooooooo many computers I have trouble coming up with host names. Does anyone have a foolproof naming scheme?

The current challenge is naming 5 old Dell Latitude laptops for use in a small classroom setting. I'm thinking about using the Service Tag #'s which are all unique. I've just never been an imaginative person and wondered what others do to come up with unique host names.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How do you name your computers?

I've seen computers named after characters in a favourite radio or TV show. In the case I have in mind - not my own - it was characters from the 1950s Goon Show.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I've seen computers named after characters in a favourite radio or TV show. In the case I have in mind - not my own - it was characters from the 1950s Goon Show.
    +1
    For ideas I sometimes use: https://hostingfacts.com/15-best-dom...me-generators/
    Just for ideas though.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

i use the names of dead scientists or mathematicians or inventors. ampere, faraday, kepler, lorentz.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro

so you never use any of the names they actually generate? is that because you think they would record which IP address they give each suggestion to?

what is the most recent name you registered?
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    so you never use any of the names they actually generate? is that because you think they would record which IP address they give each suggestion to?
    No nothing like that. I guess I just have to add my own personal touch to it.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

My home computers are currently named after witches from the Discworld books.

When I was at university they'd have different naming schemes for different areas; I recall that they had different flowers in one, and different cheeses in another.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Stars, superheros, mexican foods, HHGTTG characters for labs. Inside corporate networks, we used boring names with 8 characters to suggest the vendor, OS, architecture, and location of the server. All Windows machines started with 'w', Sun=s, HP=h, IBM=a, SGI=i, ...

I didn't deal with desktops there, so don't have any idea about those names.

The Mexican foods naming was extremely popular in the development team. Jalapeno, Burrito, Enchilada, Guacamole (a windows server that crashed a few times a month), then we got a new Windows Admin who didn't understand the theme and named the backup/music server Mariachi. My UltraSPARC workstation was Tequila. The office manager's (a professional football cheerleader) workstation was Margarita - and no, it didn't help anyone get any dates with her. ;(
    Only new systems got renamed. POSC was an old IBM P-25 running AIX. Almost always, I've had a "posc" on my network.

If there is a subject that interests you, use that to learn more - dinosaur names - snake types - rodents - beetle types, aircraft names, military ranks, countries, cities, mtn names, rivers, whatever.

Don't forget that the hostname has nothing to do with what you might call it. That's what DNS is for. Every different service should have a DNS name, regardless of where it runs on any server. When/if you need to move the service, just change where the DNS points. The client settings don't need to be altered that way.
    Last edited by TheFu; 1 Week Ago at 05:55 PM.

Beans

Three letter acronyms

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I try to think of the most random stuff. One of my computers is named "OxfordComma" if that hints at how random they are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast