Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you name your computers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How do you name your computers?

spacer empires iii (old windows game ) had names of ships stored in text files. you can add default ones or your own file, to make it easier to generate new ship designs. anyway they do have a couple of cool names. my favourite file was called ravager.txt where ship names make a lot of sense:
    for example
    Agitator
    Agressor
    Ambusher
    Annihilator
    Avenger
    Blaster
    Breaker
    Bruiser
    Caretaker
    Challenger
    Charger
    Chaser
    there are also town/city names, animals, countries, regions...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In a former employment my IT "expert" named the company servers after various Disney cartoon characters such as Mickey, Minnie and Pluto. I thought about doing this at home but eventually settled on the moons of the planet Jupiter.

After moving to Ubuntu and multiple installations thereof, I decided to use the devices's model name so my Toshiba C-50B became C50B and further installations on the same laptop became C51B, C52B etc.

It works for me...
    The Bug Squad needs your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Used to use Pokemon characters when my daughter was little. Snorlax was the name I assigned to the firewall/gateway since he would often be blocking access to roads, etc. At one client site we use names from Rocky & Bullwinkle.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Lot's of good suggestions here.

At home I typically do name computers either by model (like E6400 for my Dell laptop or DG41TY for my highly abused home-built Intel every day surfer) or by purpose (like HTPC).

Mostly the 6 dozen or so other computers I maintain are named after their users - or I'll ask them what host name they want assigned to their PC. I always have to ask what user names they want assigned to their chosen sessions anyway.

Then I was recently asked to acquire 5 laptops for use in a small classroom environment. These are young folks (mostly boys) that "slipped through the cracks" when it comes to society and I think it's pretty cool that a retired teacher would be willing to invest her time so I had no qualms about saying yes. I just performed my first "experiment" with the latest version of DebianEdu (aka; Skolelinux) and my brain just "froze" when the thought of unique host names came up.

Beans

Mine are random: my old build server was an HP z800 so I named it "bigzbox". My new desktop is named after a location in an old video game. I haven't gotten around to naming my laptop yet...
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What about the host names for my 14 Virtual Machines of my desktop and the 10 on my laptop?
    I now use the OS name, so VM-Ubuntu or VM-Ubuntu-LTS or if it is older or in development VM-Ubuntu-1604 and VM-Ubuntu-1910. For the most active VMs I stopped adding releases, since after an OS upgrade you have to change the host name again. For the laptop with an i5 processors I change it like VMi-Ubuntu and VMi-Ubuntu-1604. They are the same VMs with 2 instead of 4 cores, I only change host name, processor count, ip4 address and the .conkyrc file. I have only two desktops and one laptop so no big issues for the HW host names.

Beans

Mine is simply dubbed "theinsomniatic"

Because he never sleeps!
    Proudly ubuntu since '05
    CPU: i5-4210U 1.7Ghz | RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3L SODIMM | GFX: nVidia GeForce 635M
    Distro: Ubuntu 19.04 64-Bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I operate a mainframe with a bunch of virtual server machines layered on top. While the mainframe has a relatively boring name of "commodore", each virtual server gets a name associated with its purpose to keep things easily identifiable. eg. apache, lamp, squid etc. Otherwise, if names get too fancy it just gets unnecessarily confusing and then you find yourself having to revert to a spreadsheet and tables of system names and the associated hardware. When you're troubleshooting problems with servers, it's just adding an extra layer of work to what can already be an intensive task.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Cool Re: How do you name your computers?

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I maintain soooooooo many computers I have trouble coming up with host names. Does anyone have a foolproof naming scheme?
    I've had customers who named their installations after characters in "Lord of the Rings": frodo, bilbo, pippin, sauron, arwen, galadriel, gollum, ...

The firewall that hopefully scared the outside world away was "sauron", named after the scary main villain. The fileserver that held all the "beautiful things" that the users had created was "arwen". The development and testing machine where all the potentially ugly code was tested and executed and which occasionally would turn the installation into one freaky ugly mess was "gollum".

So there was somewhat of a logic to those names, loosely based on the role of the characters in the story.

Another customer I had named their installations with a 1-letter prefix based on the OS that was installed on that system + a number + short code with the server's function. So all Windows installations were prefixed with the letter "W", all Solaris installations were prefixed with "S", all BSD installations had the prefix "B", all Linux installations had the prefix "L". And after the number they'd add a brief 2-3 letter code that would tell you what that installation does. So, a server like "w9904db" was a Windows-based database server (e.g. Oracle), "b1034fw" was a BSD-based firewall, "l0931app" was a Linux-based application server (e.g. Tomcat), and so on. So you could look at one of their hostnames and you'd know right away what kind of installation it was and what sort of application you'd find on it.

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by scorp123; 4 Days Ago at 01:42 PM.

Beans

Computers named after animals. Animals - relevant to the characteristics of the machine.

My SSID for my network used to be ' the shire' and I used to have two other SSIDs broadcasting called 'Frodo' and 'Sam' - I often wondered whether people were trying to get into Frodo or Sam

I've not done anything fun like that for a while with my network broadcasts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast