Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu asks for a master password every time I try to do something

Beans

Ubuntu asks for a master password every time I try to do something

Hello all, I am always being asked for a MASTER PASSWORD. Every time I try to open or do something, up pops the screen, Enter master password. To my knowledge I have never set a master password, so I cannot even guess what it would be.
    When I use a Terminal and type sudo .... .... I am asked for my normal password which works properly.
    I have tried to reinstall ubuntu 16.04 hoping it will completely format the disk and reinstall without the problem. No luck. Even when I get the .ISO disk and choose format everything, it goes through the motions and when finished, there is the original programs and the password problem.
    Please help me rid the drive of all gremlins so I can reinstall ubuntu 16.04.
    Regards, Rod

Beans

Re: Ubuntu asks for a master password every time I try to do something

You have to create a root ("administrator," if you like) password on any installation of Ubuntu (or almost any other Linux). And you have to enter it every time you use sudo or anytime you want to install software or do anything to the operating system. This is normal! It's not broken, it's doing exactly what it should.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by jacko777 View Post
    Hello all, I am always being asked for a [I]MASTER PASSWORD.
    @jacko777, what exactly do you mean by a "master" password? When exactly does it happen? What applications? What is the exact wording? If possible, please post a screenshot of this popup.

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    You have to create a root ("administrator," if you like) password on any installation of Ubuntu
    @Artim, no, no, no. The root password and the administrator password are different things. Please do not use the word root loosely - this confuses newbies to the forum and to Ubuntu. If you are unsure of the difference yourself, please see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Last edited by coffeecat; September 9th, 2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @jacko777, what exactly do you mean by a "master" password? When exactly does it happen? What applications? What is the exact wording? If possible, please post a screenshot of this popup.

@Artim, no, no, no. The root password and the administrator password are different things. Please do not use the word root loosely - this confuses newbies to the forum and to Ubuntu. If you are unsure of the difference yourself, please see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    I wish I had known about this question before I opened it.. The exact wording I am unable to tell at this minute but it is headed by "Enter your master password"
    I think, looking at the next answer down, this might just be on the right track, but I do not have a Keyring password to try it out.
    When I go to a new program or whatever, I write the user name and password down, but in both these cases I have no knowledge of how they got there. Therefore, I cannot get into them..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by westie457 View Post
    Hello westie457, this just might be the answer but I cannot find a password for seahorse. Always something to confuse and confound.
    Rod.

Beans

Did you set Ubuntu to log you in automatically? This is the likely root cause for the repeated password requests from the keyring.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i put my userids in group nopasswdlogin and things work well for me. ssh still requires keys to login when configured to disallow passwords, so this does not open up network access. i can switch between users easily without a password prompt. sudo was configured for no password for a few select userids (out of the 20 or so i have, now).
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Did you set Ubuntu to log you in automatically? This is the likely root cause for the repeated password requests from the keyring.
    I think I might have done that when loading the ubuntu 16.04 again.
    I will try and insert the screenshot here.

Didn't work. So I reloaded (installed) ubuntu 16.04. nothing changed it said it would erase the old system and reinstall ubuntu 16.04. It didn't, the old installation is still there with the same problem.
    I did have the log in automatically, turned on so I went in and turned that off, but no luck I'm afraid.

Rod.
    Last edited by jacko777; September 11th, 2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: correction

Beans

Open Activities, then type in and select Users.
    Select the user account you want to edit,
    Click the Unlock button,
    Toggle the Automatic Login switch to Off.

It will ask for the password that you created when creating the install. If you don't know the password, then follow the directions in this link. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast