Thread: If a standard account gets hacked, can administrator account get hacked from there?

Beans

If a standard account gets hacked, can administrator account get hacked from there?

I know there are different types of attacks that give different level of access.
    So the question is, are there attacks which can be done to a standard account that give administrator or root access?

Is there some way this can be prevented like using a yubikey? Once I log out of the hacked account and access the administrator account I can use the yubikey to do sudo tasks. Would this way protect the administrator account.

Is there some other way to ensure administrator/root account does not get accessed from a hacked standard account? The hard drive is shared so does that cause a problem?

What about other standard accounts?

I know I can use virtual box and thats what I am thinking of doing inside a standard account but it is possible the hacker might break out of it.

Beans

Re: If a standard account gets hacked, can administrator account get hacked from ther

Yes, it's called privilege escalation. If no remote access, the attacker would have to have local access.

Beans

Re: If a standard account gets hacked, can administrator account get hacked from ther

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs1337 View Post
    If no remote access, the attacker would have to have local access.
    What do you mean by local access?

Beans

Sorry, I meant physical access.