Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about purer distros

Beans

Question about purer distros

just one question you do not think this bid of purer distros like debian pure and others of the kind hinder the migration of the novice user who suddenly wants to try these distros but is not very aware of the documentation of this not sudo root bid to facilitate giving more security wouldn't this be an important item that drives away new users?
    thanks for listening.

Beans

Re: about purer distros

I like pure gnome, look at all the packages it has.
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/gnome
    Pure doesn't mean stripped.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by espectro2 View Post
    just one question you do not think this bid of purer distros like debian pure and others of the kind hinder the migration of the novice user who suddenly wants to try these distros but is not very aware of the documentation of this not sudo root bid to facilitate giving more security wouldn't this be an important item that drives away new users?
    thanks for listening.
    Maybe. But it depends on the user. Debian wasn't my first distro, but I started running it fairly early on, and it certainly didn't drive me away from Linux.

Beans

"Purer" distros? The oldest surviving Linux distro is Slackware, so it must be the "purest," right? Go for it.

In order for Linux to be usable by humans, however, even Slackware has to be "modified" by others "down stream." Salix OS does that for Slackware, for one example, like Ubuntu ("Linux for Human Beings®") does for Debian. But that doesn't make Ubuntu any less pure, it just makes it possible for ordinary mortals to use.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by espectro2 View Post
    ...hinder the migration of the novice user...
    I would say on the contrary. If I were a novice user with special interest in, say chemistry, I would be happy that someone had selected DebiChem for me.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

A "novice user" who tries any Linux distro without reading up on it is likely to be "hindered in migration to Linux." It suprises me all the time how many people install a Linux distro without having done any research into it. Thank goodness (actually, thank Knoppix for inventing the LiveCD) we can try it out without making any changes to our computers on Live media or in Virtualbox before actually installing it. That's huge! But it's hard to be sympathetic to people who don't read the manual at the least, before they wipe away their old OS for any alternative.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    In order for Linux to be usable by humans, however, even Slackware has to be "modified" by others "down stream." Salix OS does that for Slackware, for one example, like Ubuntu ("Linux for Human Beings®") does for Debian. But that doesn't make Ubuntu any less pure, it just makes it possible for ordinary mortals to use.
    I get what you're saying, but I feel somewhat uncomfortable with these sorts of generalizations. What is an "ordinary mortal"? Are Slackware and Debian users not human?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I don't get the complaint here?? In terms of Debian and Ubuntu -- maybe its just me but I don't really see a huge difference between the two. Yes Ubuntu comes with more programs by default, however its easy to use apt to set these things up in Debian. I don't ever use the Ubuntu Software Center but rather apt from the command line -- so maybe my interpretation is skewed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I don't ever use the Ubuntu Software Center but rather apt from the command line
    Hm, kind of like here. For years, I'd always use Synaptic with any Debian-based distro, regardless of what other GUI package manager was included (never cared for the Ubuntu Software Center). But now I don't use Synaptic at all, either -- I do all of my package management from the command line, whether it's Debian or (in my case) Kubuntu. It isn't difficult it all for those who'll take the time to look over the manual pages.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I feel somewhat uncomfortable with these sorts of generalizations. What is an "ordinary mortal"? Are Slackware and Debian users not human?
    Haha, I should be more precise with my words. I apologize. Let's say instead of "ordinary mortals," casual desktop users who just want to run applications, not the OS so much. Certainly the "purer" distros have some of us among their users, but for most of us "casual users" some GUI stuff has to be added and stuff needs to be tweaked to make it "friendlier" for us. As an officially diagnosed technophobe, I panic easily when stuff gets "technical," even though I've been using Linux - including straight Debian and Slackware-based SalixOS - for years. But nothing beats Xubuntu for speed, elegance, configurability, and fearless enjoyment even for a technophobe from a race of technophobes (see here).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast