Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Synchrorep - A one click folders synchronization

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    4

    Synchrorep - A one click folders synchronization

    I've just released version 1.5.5 of my synchronization app.

    If you are interested you can find debian package here.

    Find more informations here.

    For developers, you can find source code on gihub.

    Have fun !

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Synchrorep - A one click folders synchronization

    Is there a PPA
    or
    a snap?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Beans
    1,053

    Re: Synchrorep - A one click folders synchronization

    Nice and simple, I like it.

    I use rsync to backup my Home directory to a second drive. Could this do the same thing? Sounds like it can.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    4

    Re: Synchrorep - A one click folders synchronization

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Is there a PPA
    or
    a snap?
    No, not for the moment : I've not see documentation about ppa but it can be done shortly. I'ill post a comment when it's done

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    4

    Re: Synchrorep - A one click folders synchronization

    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Nice and simple, I like it.

    I use rsync to backup my Home directory to a second drive. Could this do the same thing? Sounds like it can.
    You can do like rsync (use copy option) but if you use sync, it's a bidirectionnal copy (files missing in A are copied to A and files missing in B are copied to B)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Synchrorep - A one click folders synchronization

    s/mont/mount/ there is a typo on the "Overview" section of the website.

    Are directories mirrored recursively?
    Any known file system limitations?
    How are incompatible filenames handled? exFAT, NTFS, ext2/3/4, ZFS, BTRFS each have slight differences.
    Any known file size limitation? Someone will try to sync a 60GB virtual machine file.
    What happens if the VM file is a "sparse" file? Will it get exploded or is it handled correctly? tar and rsync have special processing for sparse files. I haven't written any C++ in about 18 yrs and never knew if anything special in the code was needed. https://www.systutorials.com/136652/...iles-on-linux/ and https://www.systutorials.com/240892/...e-sparse-file/ explains.

    What is ssh network share? Do you mean sftp, scp, sshfs or something else? I wouldn't include plain FTP support. Preventing people from making poor security choices is important.

    What happens if no Trash API is on the system? Files just deleted? Lots of people run minimal GUI systems.

    Perhaps it is clear after install, but is this a GUI tool or can it work on servers? I don't allow javascript on most websites.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    4

    Re: Synchrorep - A one click folders synchronization

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    s/mont/mount/ there is a typo on the "Overview" section of the website.
    Thanks, I will check it out

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Are directories mirrored recursively?
    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Any known file system limitations?
    How are incompatible filenames handled? exFAT, NTFS, ext2/3/4, ZFS, BTRFS each have slight differences.
    Any known file size limitation? Someone will try to sync a 60GB virtual machine file.
    I use gnome library for managing files, then limitations are gnome limitations


    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    What happens if the VM file is a "sparse" file? Will it get exploded or is it handled correctly? tar and rsync have special processing for sparse files. I haven't written any C++ in about 18 yrs and never knew if anything special in the code was needed. https://www.systutorials.com/136652/...iles-on-linux/ and https://www.systutorials.com/240892/...e-sparse-file/ explains.
    As I use gnome library to copy, the copy process don't come from my code. I've already use synchrorep with vdi and no problem with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    What is ssh network share? Do you mean sftp, scp, sshfs or something else? I wouldn't include plain FTP support. Preventing people from making poor security choices is important.
    I mean that I've not be clear with ssh network share. In fact I mean sftp mounted in gnome. (After the first run, it mount automatically).

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    What happens if no Trash API is on the system? Files just deleted? Lots of people run minimal GUI systems.
    If the remote is not handle filesystem, the file is copied on local Trash

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Perhaps it is clear after install, but is this a GUI tool or can it work on servers? I don't allow javascript on most websites.
    This is a GUI tool. For next step of development, I will implement batch mode (especially to manage scheduled tasks) but you still need GUI to see logs and answer questions (in case for example of a file modified in both directory). This app is designed for desktop environments.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Beans
    7

    Re: Synchrorep - A one click folders synchronization

    I've never developed anything on ubuntu, so out of interest: what made you decide to use C++? Familiarity with the language? Good GUI support? Sorry if it's a silly question, I code web stuff mainly.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •