Thread: I keep getting hacked. Can you help?

Threaded View

Beans

I keep getting hacked. Can you help?

I mostly use my computer for surfing the internet and I have become a target of some hacker (probably paid). I understand the basics of hacking and I know the hacker has to exploit some vulnerability but I cannot understand what he is exploiting. I mostly visit trusted sites and I also have noscript addon installed. I keep reinstalling my OS and updating, using ufw but I get hacked again. Clam scanner does NOT find anything once I get hacked. Can you explain why this is? In windows I once installed a spyware and it got picked up by the antivirus.

So the questions are :
    1)What vulnerability could the hacker be exploting?
    2) Most recently when I got hacked I had connected to a public wifi. Is it easier to hack on a public wifi?
    3) Why does clam not detect anything? How can I tell I have been hacked? What software can I use? I only know about hacking by his actions on my laptop.
    4) Could my laptop be physically 'infected'. If so how can I find out?
    5) What could be the solution? I tried installing virtualbox and started surfing on a standard account but he hacked that also and he was able to get to the administrator account of the main OS. When I reset using a snapshot the next time he hacked me was very soon. Very quick. I live in a hostel, and just in case some one accesses my laptop I have it installed on a usb. But I still keep getting hacked.
    Last edited by linux-user-0987; September 7th, 2019 at 09:17 PM.