Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I keep getting hacked. Can you help?

Beans

I keep getting hacked. Can you help?

I mostly use my computer for surfing the internet and I have become a target of some hacker (probably paid). I understand the basics of hacking and I know the hacker has to exploit some vulnerability but I cannot understand what he is exploiting. I mostly visit trusted sites and I also have noscript addon installed. I keep reinstalling my OS and updating, using ufw but I get hacked again. Clam scanner does NOT find anything once I get hacked. Can you explain why this is? In windows I once installed a spyware and it got picked up by the antivirus.

So the questions are :
    1)What vulnerability could the hacker be exploting?
    2) Most recently when I got hacked I had connected to a public wifi. Is it easier to hack on a public wifi?
    3) Why does clam not detect anything? How can I tell I have been hacked? What software can I use? I only know about hacking by his actions on my laptop.
    4) Could my laptop be physically 'infected'. If so how can I find out?
    5) What could be the solution? I tried installing virtualbox and started surfing on a standard account but he hacked that also and he was able to get to the administrator account of the main OS. When I reset using a snapshot the next time he hacked me was very soon. Very quick. I live in a hostel, and just in case some one accesses my laptop I have it installed on a usb. But I still keep getting hacked.
    Last edited by linux-user-0987; 1 Week Ago at 09:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: I keep getting hacked. Can you help?

Is it easier to hack on a public wifi?
    This just takes seconds to achieve.
    The rest I'll leave to others to advise.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Can you explain what happens after you get hacked, and have you changed password? Saying hack can mean almost anything. Can also install a VPN, better if a paid one(some paid ones have a free limited option) if you are using public wifi. You might even have a rootkit that you need a rootkit hunter to find.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What makes you think you were hacked?

Hard to say what to do without knowing the observed behavior.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Exactly. Why do you believe you have been hacked. What is being hacked, your Ubuntu PC, or an online account? Please provide details. Typically, hackers (script kiddies, black hats) could care less about individuals, unless your machine is being infected with something to make a part of a botnet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Could also be a malicious prank by a co-worker, roommate, or so-called friend. Does anyone else have physical access to the machine besides you?

And yes, it would be most helpful if you could describe specific symptoms.
    regards

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i was going to ask that same question. what are you seeing or experiencing that makes you think you were hacked.

FYI, i was a gray-hat hacker in the 1970s. that means i hacked in (mainframes in those days) where no permission was obtained in advance, but never did damage or stole data. except, a hack into a friend's account, every time he logged in, it would say "big brother is watching". but after 20 logins it changed and said "big brother is taking over", cleared all evidence of existence, and logged off. he finally came to me about it after that last event. he didn't think that first message was a problem but he should have.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans

The hacker has so far done things which make the laptop stop working. Like closing the browser when I am using it, corrupting the hard drive , opening things randomly, and overloading the laptop. I have visual proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I am going to ask a few questions but you also need to answer what others have asked if you expect us to help:

1. Does the person have physical access to the laptop?

2. Is there only one user account on the machine, if not how many users are there?

3. Have you checked the logs for signs of access?
    /var/log/auth.log
    The more information you provide, the better.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by linux-user-0987 View Post
    The hacker has so far done things which make the laptop stop working. Like closing the browser when I am using it, corrupting the hard drive , opening things randomly, and overloading the laptop. I have visual proof.
    Several people have asked you what makes you believe you have been hacked. The above is not an adequate answer. A laptop ceasing to work, browsers closing unexpectedly, corrupted hard drives, and overload of the hardware could be down to faulty hardware or bugs in applications, or some other perfectly innocent explanation. You need to give details. What evidence do you have that leads you to believe that you have been hacked, rather than what you see is being caused by hardware or software problems?
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast