Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I keep getting hacked. Can you help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: I keep getting hacked. Can you help?

This all reminds me of an SSD I tried to install recently. Debian would install, but immediately start having issues. I ran a few tests and found that the drive was bad. I had Amazon send a replacement and the problems went away. Someone hacking a specific system multiple times is very unlikely.

Have you ran any tests on the HDD or SSD? If it is a laptop, then have you tried disabling the touchpad and using a mouse to see it the issue continues? Are you using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse? Is Bluetooth enabled? Are you installing/enabling any remote desktop applications?

Beans

Completely agree - hackers with ill intentions rarely target a single individual, especially the average individual. A CEO of a major company, then yes, but Joe on the street, almost never. Maybe once to get data or to include the machine in a botnet, but Linux is a harder target for this than Windows. Windows is trivial to compromise so is a bigger target and more likely to be compromised.

Likely, as uRock stated, the problems OP is experiencing are related to hardware failure or some other issue.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Have you ran any tests on the HDD or SSD? If it is a laptop, then have you tried disabling the touchpad and using a mouse to see it the issue continues? Are you using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse? Is Bluetooth enabled? Are you installing/enabling any remote desktop applications?
    How do I run a test for HDD or SSD? No I have not used a mouse, bluetooth is disabled and I don't use any remote desktop applications.

If I have been hacked then will running the programs on this website show something? https://www.tecmint.com/scan-linux-f...-and-rootkits/
    What does a hacker do once inside? If the results come back clean then that probably means I have nothing to worry about?

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2426424
    Last edited by linux-user-0987; 1 Week Ago at 04:31 PM.

Beans

Possibly - a malicious hacker will either use your machine in a botnet or will steal data. A single individual is rarely the target of a data theft simply because it's one person. Why target one person? Makes no sense. I would rather target a large organization and get data on a million users.

Running a rootkit scan or AV scan will help put your fears to rest. If nothing is returned, you can relax. ClamAV and rkhunter are both good tools.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by linux-user-0987 View Post
    How do I run a test for HDD or SSD?
    https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk..._linux_gui.php

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123