Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I keep getting hacked. Can you help?

Beans

Re: I keep getting hacked. Can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    I am going to ask a few questions but you also need to answer what others have asked if you expect us to help:

1. Does the person have physical access to the laptop?

2. Is there only one user account on the machine, if not how many users are there?

3. Have you checked the logs for signs of access?

The more information you provide, the better.
    1. Possibly. But I have set a bios password.
    2.There is only one administrator account.
    3. I did and once they were deleted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Several people have asked you what makes you believe you have been hacked. The above is not an adequate answer. A laptop ceasing to work, browsers closing unexpectedly, corrupted hard drives, and overload of the hardware could be down to faulty hardware or bugs in applications, or some other perfectly innocent explanation. You need to give details. What evidence do you have that leads you to believe that you have been hacked, rather than what you see is being caused by hardware or software problems?
    He also does things like opening applications and once a page got bookmarked by itself. Once I also got locked out of my account. I could not access it with my password. Thats enough evidence. And the RAM does not go to full capacity by itself. And hard drives don't become corrupt as well. Its very rare for a partition to suddenly become unreadable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linux-user-0987 View Post
    He also does things like opening applications
    Which applications? Does this happen when you are at the machine? While you are away? If away, how do you know they were opened?

and once a page got bookmarked by itself.
    Once? Might it not have been a stray keystroke of your own?

Once I also got locked out of my account. I could not access it with my password.
    Again, just once? Please see all of the questions on the Forums where others have encountered this -- without having been hacked.

Thats enough evidence.
    No, it's not.

And the RAM does not go to full capacity by itself.
    What do you mean here?

And hard drives don't become corrupt as well.
    Actually, they do. There are plenty of questions here on the forums where people encounter this. This is one of the reasons we highly recommend frequent backups.

Its very rare for a partition to suddenly become unreadable.
    More common than you seem to think. Operator error can make it happen in an eyeblink. Again, backups.

When you said you had checked logs, which ones did you check specifically?

Does anyone have physical access to your machine?

Have you installed any random software from outside of the repos or trusted/respected PPAs?

Do you practice good web surfing hygiene?

Do you allow remote desktop access?

Have you used conferencing software?

Do you allow SSH over port 22 with root login allowed? Do you allow passwords?

Jumping to the conclusion that you have been hacked just because you machine does something unexpected is not constructive. Giving those who have offered help partial, vague, and frankly evasive information is not either. Please provide detail rather than waiting for members to pull your teeth.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Which applications? Does this happen when you are at the machine? While you are away? If away, how do you know they were opened?

Once? Might it not have been a stray keystroke of your own?

Again, just once? Please see all of the questions on the Forums where others have encountered this -- without having been hacked.

No, it's not.

What do you mean here?

Actually, they do. There are plenty of questions here on the forums where people encounter this. This is one of the reasons we highly recommend frequent backups.

More common than you seem to think. Operator error can make it happen in an eyeblink. Again, backups.

When you said you had checked logs, which ones did you check specifically?

Does anyone have physical access to your machine?

Have you installed any random software from outside of the repos or trusted/respected PPAs?

Do you practice good web surfing hygiene?

Do you allow remote desktop access?

Have you used conferencing software?

Do you allow SSH over port 22 with root login allowed? Do you allow passwords?

Jumping to the conclusion that you have been hacked just because you machine does something unexpected is not constructive. Giving those who have offered help partial, vague, and frankly evasive information is not either. Please provide detail rather than waiting for members to pull your teeth.

I do not understand why you are trying to convince me that I have not been hacked. I know that I have been hacked. Thats not the thing to discuss and even if the other problems can happen by themselves, applications do not open by themselves. I saw the amazon app open in front of me and bookmarking a page requires two keys. I did not do that accidentally. It is clear to me that someone is trying to disturb me.

To answer your questions:
    I checked all the logs but the auth.log was deleted once. Once in enough.

I already told you that it is possible some one could access my laptop without me knowing. But I have set up a bios password. And right now I am using a usb.

I have not installed untrusted software many times I have been hacked. As I said I keep reinstalling. I have not used my laptop for banking because of being hacked although nothing has happened to other accounts.

I don't know what you mean by good surfing hygiene but many times after installing the OS, I have used only trusted websites mostly and still got hacked.

I don't allow remote access . I used zoom once and port 22 is always closed.

Can anyone tell me of a scan or something else I can do to detect an intrusion? Is there some sure way of knowing that you have been hacked? As I said I once tried installing spyware on windows and the antivirus picked it up.

Beans

Apart from the things that I mentioned that make it clear that I have become a target of some hacker, like the auth.log being deleted. So many other things happening in a short period of time is very suspicious.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

We Keep asking because it's so very very rare.
    See if any of this puts you at rest: https://www.tecmint.com/scan-linux-f...-and-rootkits/
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Also the screen brightness dropped once or twice while I was away and the audio stopped playing. Again this might not be proof but the other things are.

Beans

None of the things you mentioned are evidence of being hacked. "Being hacked" means only 3 things: someone brute forced in remotely via an open port/service, or malware got installed that provides remote control services, or, the machine was physically compromised. There are no other ways.

I guarantee, unless you are the CEO of Google, Microsoft or another billion dollar corporation, that you and your data mean exactly squat to a malicious hacker.
    Last edited by coffeecat; 1 Week Ago at 09:30 PM.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs1337 View Post
    ...someone brute forced in remotely via an open port/service,
    Another user mentioned that hacking on a public wifi is very easy. Can you explain how this might happen? Perhaps give an example?

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs1337 View Post
    ...the machine was physically compromised
    Is there some way a laptop can be compromised ? I read laptops are harder to modify. Is there some way I could check for sure?
    Last edited by linux-user-0987; 1 Week Ago at 05:06 AM.

Beans

Public WiFi is dangerous because everyone on that WiFi network is on the same network and anyone on that network can see the traffic anyone else generates. Good example is if you were to invite everyone at a coffeeshop over to your home and give them your WiFi password: you would all be on the same network. Being on the same network with a bunch of untrusted people is not a safe thing to do, unless you take other precautions such as a VPN. My opinion anyway.

As for laptops, not sure what you mean by "modify". If someone you don't know or trust has physical access to any computer, they can do things they shouldn't, like boot Linux or Unix to single user mode, boot to a recovery disk and gain access to data, copy date, etc.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast