Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: corrupted hard drive

Beans

corrupted hard drive

Cutting a long story short, is there any way I can format the hard drive on an eeepc from a USB flash drive, on which Ubuntu, Lubuntu and GParted are now unable to find any partitions following the installation and removal of the Cloudready chrome OS? Thanks for reading

Beans

Re: corrupted hard drive

Start by trying to make a new partition table using gparted working from live Ubuntu media. Then you can create new partition(s). Finally, formatting these for your intended use.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't know exactly what model you have, but I used to have one that would not boot from a USB stick. However, it would boot and install Xubuntu from an external DVD. Was kinda weird, but it did work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I had an Asus Eee (Atom N270 CPU). It worked like any other laptop, just a little slower and with a 600p screen.
    It booted from USB fine, so I could run a lite XUbuntu desktop and do any maintenance or emergency fixes needed. I might have run Lubuntu then, I don't remember.

CloudReady is ChromiumOS and has 11 partitions on a GPT formatted drive, normally. If you don't see those partitions from a USB-boot "live" Ubuntu, I'd guess there is a hardware issue. That could be a loose connection or a dead SSD.

Beans

Many thanks to you all - It's now a work in progress (I hope). Ubuntu booted up from CD after around an hour, with 82 errors scrolling up the screen at the outset. Gparted found 27 partitions, all of which it's finally deleted, apart from an unallocated partition of 149 Gb. Each deletion was preceded by three "lib parted bug found - I/O error during read on /dev/sda" messages, ending with a "Backup GPT table is corrupt, but primary appears OK so that will be used." I hit ignore for all the I/O error messages and OK for the last ones which I hope is the ideal response. I'm fairly clueless with Linux, but optimism favours - now all the partitions are deleted - a crack at creating partitions for Ubuntu. It's been an interesting four hours watching the process

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Check the system logs for the errors.
    Look up each to see what it is. Disk/storage errors should never be ignored.
    • bad cable
    • bad controller
    • failing disk

It needs to be fixed regardless of what is causing the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i would "zero zap" the first few megabytes of the target hard drive, if not the whole thing (depending on how much of a hurry i was in) before repartitioning. i like to keep it simple but still have /home kept separate, so i make / on p1, swap on p2, and /home on p4, using MBR if i can. i used to do more complicated stuff with one time as many as 36 partitions with Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and LFS on there. then i realized that shutting down just to work on something else slowed me down way too much. so i went with VMs. and that was way back in time.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans

Gparted found 27 partitions, all of which it's finally deleted
    If you create a new partition table first thing, any partition structure on the disk will be lost. This may take 5 seconds or less. So you don't really need to delete them and the entire disk will show as unallocated. You can then go ahead and create new partitions.

Beans

Thanks again for all advice. Stressing at the outset that my competence with linux is very limited, I suspect the errors on the drive were the result of the Cloudready OS. I have installed Ubuntu and Lubuntu on the same machine several times over the years, all of which would work for a while then go haywire for one reason or another - "..attempt to write outside hd0" being fairly common, which was the last message received around three weeks ago, following two days of working from a new installation of Ubuntu 14.05. It was this failure that prompted the trial run of Cloud Ready OS. The scrolling error messages on the startup screen have only happened since then. I have tried a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.05, which looked promising, but it hung and ceased activity at the Grub installation. I pulled the plug after three hours. I've just - almost -created a partition with Gparted, but it has been unable to complete the process with the message "error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda1: input/output error". Repeated 'ignore' button produces "input/output error during read on dev/sda." Would it be possible to 'simply' wipe the disc with a mother of all formats from a flash drive? I have no OS or material that needs to be saved. Thanks again for your support

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Hardware for a better fit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast