Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Studio Ubuntu 19.05 extremely slow during and after installation. Pentium 4HT@3.4Mhz

Beans

Re: Studio Ubuntu 19.05 extremely slow during and after installation. Pentium 4HT@3.4

Funny you mentioned that. I almost won a bid on Ebay on a powerful graphics card a month ago based on that website for about £10. I will buy one eventually. For web & office the onboard card is fine. However windows 10 doesn't support it and there's drop of framerate in watching videos.

But still, the problem seemed to be related to a hard drive conflict.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Studio Ubuntu 19.05 extremely slow during and after installation. Pentium 4HT@3.4

Quote Originally Posted by ub-joao View Post
    most of the time shows a message
    "disabling #irq 19".

When doesn't show this message UBUNTU boots with normal speed.
    That seems like a shonky BIOS implementation. No shortage of those, particularly in the P4 era.

There are a bunch of kernel options to try to help get around buggy BIOS signalling; IRQ polling, Message Signalled Interrupts, ignoring parts of the APIC, and so on. Fiddling with some of those might help you. Some of them are listed here.

Beans

Thanks. Saved that Html for future reference, maybe for next year when I'll install next Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

For now, I gave up on 19.04 and installed 18.04 LTS AMD64 and is working fine and fast. A bit disappointed on
    the outdated software, specially on GIMP 2.8.22 (I wanted 2.10.12). Installed new repository, SNAP and FLATPAK
    versions but got disappointed as well. The added repository ppatto-kesselgulasch/gimp still produces one depency problem
    with libmypaint which forced me to remove mypaint entirely. As for SNAP and FLATPAK, it's a headache to
    install plugins for example. Had enough and set everything to 18.04 versions. I'll be patient and wait for 20.04 LTS.
    Last edited by ub-joao; 6 Days Ago at 12:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I would advise against Snap and Flatpak. Tend to slow down the system.

The idea behind LTS is stability, that is the opposite of upgrades. Hence, old software.

If you want help with installing 19.04 with its selection of upgraded software then please describe the exact problems. It has worked fine for me.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

In addition to the parameters CatKiller linked to, I'd suggest to try booting with 'noirqdebug' and see if the message about disabling IRQ 19 (and the slowness) goes away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12