Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Inspiron 1525, no wifi recognition

Greetings all and thanks for your patience and attention,

Here it goes:

lubuntu version installed: 18.04 LTS
    computer: Inspiron 1525

For a few times I installed some Lubuntu versions on different computers, some installations were tough bones, some were very easy, but I never got stuck like this. I’m not a programmer nor I know Linux language, I’m just a curious using experience as my tool.

I tried to install many different Lubuntu versions on a friend’s computer whose Windows got outdated, but without success. The combination of the version installed presently (18.04 LTS) and the present partitioning scheme resulted in a partial success but, I can’t put the wireless working (it doesn't recognize the drives I think), it takes some time starting up and shutting down with large messages of error, and also it takes a few time after hibernation.

I don’t know if I partitioned the hard disk correctly, if 18.04 LTS is the proper Lubuntu version (from all the other versions installed this is the one with most success), if there's a problem because the battery isn't working... but the greatest problem continues to be the wireless. This is my last hope…, before I take the computer to a computer store and spent some money.

I'm not sure If I uploaded the imagens regarding the partitioning and the info report...

Many thanks in advance

PS: how do I upload files (regarding the hardware, system info and the images of the partitioning)?
    Last edited by wildmanne39; September 6th, 2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Reset fonts again please leave.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Inspiron 1525, no wifi recognition

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Hi, please click on the wireless script in my signature, follow the directions for running it and posting the results back here using the pastebin link created and someone will most likely be able to help.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Greetings, and thanks!
    I'm afraid for the moment I don't have access to a wired connection...
    The computer I'm using is working perfectly with wifi and it's not the one with the problems...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You do not need a wired connection in the link are directions for running the script without internet, however you can also tether your cell phone to your computer and use it as a wired connection, if your cell phone can be used as a hotspot.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks!
    I followed the instructions:

Method 2. No Internet - GUI Method (multi-step but still easy to do )-

If you can't connect to internet -

* Download the script on another computer by right-clicking this link, and choose to "Save" the link target.
    * Copy the downloaded file to your Ubuntu Desktop (see the "NOTE 2" below) and,
    * run it from there as follows -

1) Right-click the downloaded file > click "Properties" > go to "Permissions" tab > tick the "Execute" checkbox > close the box.

2) Double-click the file > select "Run" in the opened dialogue box. Provide your password when asked.
    [NOTE 1: Since Ubuntu 13.04, Text Files open up in text editor even if they are made executable. To change this-
    Open any folder > go to Files > Preferences > Behavior tab > select "Ask each time" option under "Executable Text Files" section.]

but nothing happened.
    there was no generated file, and the size of the file "wireless-info.txt" kept the same. When I executed it in the terminal the size of the file increased and the only visible text was "#### wireless info START ####". The partition where the file was run (/home/user) is a Linux Ext4... Perhaps I'm not interpreting the instructions correctly...

Last edited by zetomes; September 7th, 2019 at 12:19 AM. Reason: ortography

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Persistence won.

I executed the file "wireless_script.txt" next to the "wireless-info.txt" file and voila, it modified it!

Here it goes!

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/3nsBgxGkxN/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need firmware. Post #11 here shows you the process. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....0#post13646580
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

You guys are simply... fantastic!

Wireless is working perfectly!
    At this moment updating the system.

How can I send a report of the computer to see if the problems I mentioned initially persist and a map of the partitioning?

Huge and sincere thanks wildmanne39, chili555, really.
    Last edited by zetomes; September 7th, 2019 at 11:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Shall I create a new topic for my other issues?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zetomes View Post
    Shall I create a new topic for my other issues?
    Yes, please, in the appropriate section, probably General.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast