Thread: How can I load html step by step

Beans

How can I load html step by step

I have an html file which displays information I want and then goes off to another website before I can see the information.
    How can I load the file step by step or find the information I want?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How can I load html step by step

3 ideas:
    I use wallabag to grab it quickly. There's a browser addon that sends the URL to my wallabag server. This is working for me on many sites, but not all.

Pandoc might work too.

Might try disabling javascript. The redirection might be a javascript function, but the main page might only display via javascript, so this is less likely to actually work.

Beans

Thanks. I couldn't get pandoc working properly I don't think. I'm actually trying to find information about a NZ artist called Dennis Wilson. If I click on many of the google results the page quickly displays some information and then goes to another website. So I saved a google link but when I tried to upload it for this post it wouldn't, so I took a screenshot from a text editor (attached).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Searching Google for "dennis wilson nz" just brings up pages about the now-deceased drummer for the 60's American band, The Beach Boys. And none of the pages I looked at redirected me to another site.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; September 6th, 2019 at 07:09 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

It would help us help you if you provided a link to the site with which you are having problems.

That being said, if you are trying to reach https://regionbusinessworld.news (from your screen cap) it looks like that site has been hacked and is being redirected to "mobilego.io". Turning off javascript in my browser prevents the redirect.

Beans

Thanks for that. Yes it was regionbusinessworld and a whole lot of other links most of which had news in their name which did the identical trick (maybe google has cleaned them away in the last few days). I tried to turn off java in firefox quantum 69.0 (32-bit) but couldn't manage it.

Beans

a) Not Java, JavaScript. The names may be similar, the languages aren't. Java used to be useable in web-pages through applets, but those days are gone and the Java-plugin can't be used in modern browsers any more because the API it used was discarded for security reasons.
    b) JavaScript is so important for modern web-pages that the option not to use it isn't available in the settings-pages any more. The setting can still be changed through the 'about:config' URL and switching the setting 'javascript.enabled' to 'off'.

Holger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you just want the information, you can try google's cache version or the WayBackMachine. https://archive.org/web/

Beans

I tried to turn off java in firefox quantum 69.0 (32-bit) but couldn't manage it
    - about:config in FireFox URL bar
    - Search for javascript (you don't even have to complete the word)
    - Double-click the javascript.enabled entry so it is set to false
    - Browser restart is not required

Tried to post a screen shot but guess I don't have privileges

Don't forget to turn it back on or many websites will be broken (which they shouldn't be, graceful degradation is not honored these days)