Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu is going down?

Beans

Why Ubuntu is going down?

Hello,

I love Ubuntu and everything, but I am worried about Ubuntu going down so fast...

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...205-y&q=ubuntu

What is the problem?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Why Ubuntu is going down?

Not a support request.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think that desktops and laptops are declining: fewer and fewer people are using them and instead are using their smart phones.

I repair computers as a hobby: been doing it for 20+ years just for friends. I used to do 2- 4 units a month, now I sometimes go for several months with none seen. Plus, all of my friends know that I fix units and give them to people that couldn't otherwise afford one. So, they will generally give me their old units. When I get a unit now, I always ask what they got to replace it with. Most of them just say that they didn't replace, but that they just don't use it anymore. They use their phones instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wonder if they do more with their devices than Google & Facebook. No way no how could I replace a PC with a phone. Replace a 12.5"/27" screen with a 5"-6" screen? Nope, nope and nope.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I wouldn't either. But, many people are. For people who only want email and Facebook, they use phones instead. Not all of them, but more and more of them.

Case in point: Fella in my church asked me a couple weeks ago if I wanted his son's old computer. He said that his son no longer has any use for it and that he only uses his phone now. He said that the computer hasn't been used in over a year and was just collecting dust in the basement.

Anyhow, he brought it last Sunday. This is what was "thrown away": Quad core i5, 3.4ghz, 16G high speed RAM, Nvidia GTX 660 Ti. I would think that a lot of people would love to have that machine. None of his friends wanted it. As for dad, he uses a laptop and smartphone, mom uses smartphone only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Agreed. I know my wife's young cousins, for them it is all about the tablet or phone. They could care less about a computer, and generally don't even know how to operate one even though they have had one in their house for years. The days of the home computer are numbered save for gaming or people who actually use it for work. These days it is all about facebook, google, instagram, itunes, whatever is mobile. Before you actually needed a computer to get through most of life in this world, at least in the States. Now with things like google docs and an app that is better than a website in many circumstances who needs a proper pc. Even I've started using my phone more lately rather than my desktop, this thing is turned off 80% of the day.

I think the whole home computing paradigm is shifting away. It's mostly not needed these days. Simple as that.

Hell I can even access my server over ssh from my phone... That pretty much eliminates the only actual NEED I have for my desktop.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; September 4th, 2019 at 03:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    I think that desktops and laptops are declining: fewer and fewer people are using them and instead are using their smart phones.

I repair computers as a hobby: been doing it for 20+ years just for friends. I used to do 2- 4 units a month, now I sometimes go for several months with none seen. Plus, all of my friends know that I fix units and give them to people that couldn't otherwise afford one. So, they will generally give me their old units. When I get a unit now, I always ask what they got to replace it with. Most of them just say that they didn't replace, but that they just don't use it anymore. They use their phones instead.
    in that exact same situation too. used to see more than 2-4 units a month though quite some time ago. actually had my first one to work on in maybe a year a week or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I wonder if they do more with their devices than Google & Facebook. No way no how could I replace a PC with a phone. Replace a 12.5"/27" screen with a 5"-6" screen? Nope, nope and nope.
    totally agree. i think it's ridiculous how people can set and stare at such a small screen for hours at a time like they do.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have a smart phone only because they really don't make little, flip phones anymore. I tell peope to NOT text me because I will never get it. I go into those about once and month, mark everything as "read" and then delete them all.

I have a Tracfone. 1,500 minutes per year, 1,500 texts. Last year, I used slightly over 100 minutes. Rolled it over. Been doing that for years. I probably could now talk 24/7 and still be good.

Actually, just bought a new Tracfone. Same deal: 1,500 minutes and texts. Came with the phone. $79.95 US for phone and a year's worth of service. I will keep my 21" screen for reading emails and everything else.
    Last edited by Autodave; September 4th, 2019 at 04:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

From the website:

Numbers represent search interest relative to the highest point on the chart for the given region and time.
    "Search interest" is much like the numbers on DistroWatch. They don't mean that people are or are not using Ubuntu -- only that they are or are not searching.

The "interest" could simply mean that Ubuntu has become well enough known that people aren't searching it out.

In short: The graph of "falling interest" can't be interpreted in any way to conclude that Ubuntu is "going down".

Fun with stats.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    I agree tablets and smart phones are replacing the desktops and laptops for many nowadays.

Tablets are just easier for those who are on the go and only need to web use and note take etc.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast