Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i hate it when a web site assumes ...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i hate it when a web site assumes ...

i hate it when a web site assumes that the source IP address can be used to determine what country someone is in and blocks access on that basis. all the IP address can readily show, if it is an ISP, is what country the ISP is in, not the users.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: i hate it when a web site assumes ...

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    i hate it when a web site assumes that the source IP address can be used to determine what country someone is in and blocks access on that basis. all the IP address can readily show, if it is an ISP, is what country the ISP is in, not the users.
    If the ISPs are registering their subnets properly, then your IP should be very close to your physical location, unless using VPN, frame relay, or something of the like.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It is a legal requirement in some jurisdictions. Complain to the govt. I hate that I have to accept terms when visiting sites located in the EU which have nothing to do with my legal location.

There are also contractual reasons, so the website has a contractual requirement to block users from certain countries using the best available method.

There's something called "industry standard" which gets most companies making a mistake from being sued, provided they follow "industry standard practices." If they didn't and make a mistake, they will be sued.

Beans
    Distro

not all ISPs are big enough to justify a separate IP allocation of the minimum required size in every country they serve, at least in IPv4.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

I don't know of many multinational ISPs myself. Looking at a list of ISPs serving Wheeling, only the satellite providers like Hughes might cross international borders.

Geolocation for my Verizon Fios IP puts me in Cambridge, MA, rather than my actual location of Newton, but it's only off by a couple of miles.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 1 Week Ago at 06:55 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

try VPS services. find the cheapest one that doesn't do any logging. put your fixed proxy there. now, where are you?

Beans
    Distro

and that list doesn't even have any of the locally headquartered providers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

try VPS services. find the cheapest one that doesn't do any logging. put your fixed proxy there. now, where are you?
    Well, sure. If you use a virtual private network provider you're going to appear to be located at the provider's endpoint. Isn't that why people use VPNs in the first place?

NordVPN appears to let you designate the country you want your traffic to appear to be from.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 1 Week Ago at 07:32 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

i did set up a VPN through my VPS server to get IPv6. IPv4 is also routed but i guess i can unroute it. all this because web sites don't understand that an IP address only tells them where their ISP is. one exception is Google. they know where i am despite the IP address, whether IPv4 or IPv6. that's one of the few i want to hide from.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I don't know of many multinational ISPs myself. Looking at a list of ISPs serving Wheeling, only the satellite providers like Hughes might cross international borders.
    Perhaps Skaperen isn't in the USA and lives in a border city.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast