Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i hate it when a web site assumes ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: i hate it when a web site assumes ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Perhaps Skaperen isn't in the USA and lives in a border city.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Whee...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Beans

Worse yet is when you tell your marketing team their Big Idea to use geolocation to market to target areas by IP won't work, and why it won't work, they push you to code it that way anyway, then come back a week later complaining the store in Wazoo, Indiana is reporting that their web site says they're in Scottsdale, Arizona. I TRIED TO TELL YOU! LOL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    Worse yet is when you tell your marketing team their Big Idea to use geolocation to market to target areas by IP won't work, and why it won't work, they push you to code it that way anyway, then come back a week later complaining the store in Wazoo, Indiana is reporting that their web site says they're in Scottsdale, Arizona. I TRIED TO TELL YOU! LOL
    Accuracy of geolocation database varies depending on which database you use. For IP-to-country database, some vendors claim to offer 98% to 99% accuracy although typical Ip2Country database accuracy is more like 95%. For IP-to-Region (or City), accracy range anywhere from 50% to 75% if neighboring cities are treated as correct. Considering that there is no official source of IP-to-Region information, 50+% accuracy is pretty good.
    That is a direct quote from 1 of the IP-geolocation sites, including the misspellings, BTW.
    If I lived in Windsor, CA, I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit, USA showed up.

My IP at any time can be reported less than a mile off or thousands of miles off. Google freaks out. If locations by geo-guessing change too quickly. Google will refuse to work - sending people like me into a recursive captcha that can't be solved.
    Right now, using my real public, static, IP, whatsmyip is showing a town about 30 miles from reality with the wrong city. Whatismyip is closer, but shows the wrong ISP. How can you get the wrong ISP? I don't live inside any city - up here in Squidbillyland, but if you know anything about Squidbillies, you can get pretty close - give us a holler.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This may not be the right thread to ask this in, but...

I constantly get emails from Linkedin, telling me that I have been highlighted in profiles, and resumes, and the like. And I have NEVER logged into LinkedIn once in my life. These emails are pretty specific with phone numbers, personal information, and, of course, they have my email address.

How is this even close to okay? If I go onto Linkedin, and just start naming people, all of a sudden, they are Linkedin members?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    This may not be the right thread to ask this in, but...

I constantly get emails from Linkedin, telling me that I have been highlighted in profiles, and resumes, and the like. And I have NEVER logged into LinkedIn once in my life. These emails are pretty specific with phone numbers, personal information, and, of course, they have my email address.

How is this even close to okay? If I go onto Linkedin, and just start naming people, all of a sudden, they are Linkedin members?
    That's madness! I closed my account because I saw names of people I had removed from my life show up as visitors to my page. Funny enough, within 3 days at work my employer's HR called me in to ask why I closed my account. Apparently they have an algorithm that watches LinkedIn for employee's changes.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    That's madness! I closed my account because I saw names of people I had removed from my life show up as visitors to my page. Funny enough, within 3 days at work my employer's HR called me in to ask why I closed my account. Apparently they have an algorithm that watches LinkedIn for employee's changes.
    Right? Apparently, they take information from everyone's resume and friends. If you are listed as a professional reference on someone's resume (which I am), they build a profile for you.

I've heard people say it before. Privacy is an illusion. It's absolutely impossible to keep your personal information private these days.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12