Thread: How to give feedback?

Beans

How to give feedback?

Hi,

I'm using (most of the time) latest Ubuntu with default desktop and just transferred from Windows. What is the right way to give feedback on features, for example on desktop features or applications such as chromium browser? I'm not talking about bugs, but ways to improve things.

Thanks
    Last edited by pekkjokk; 1 Week Ago at 02:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How to give feedback?

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat for a better fit.

I'd advise either of these two venues:

The Ubuntu Development mailing list: ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com or the #ubuntu-devel IRC channel on freenode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pekkjokk View Post
    I'm not talking about bugs, but ways to improve things.
    Please remember that Ubuntu isn't an operating system but a distribution or a collection of software that is mostly sourced from various upstream providers.

Whilst the Canonical/Ubuntu developers might patch various applications in order for them to work better within the Ubuntu environment they are not necessarily in a position to add new features to existing applications. Many Ubuntu developers are also GNOME, Debian or Xfce developers but suggestions for improvements or new features are usually best reported upstream unless you are suggesting improvements to the Ubuntu environment as opposed to the environment of any other Linux distribution which includes either similar or the same applications.

What improvements do you have in mind?
    The Bug Squad needs your help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Please remember that Ubuntu isn't an operating system but a distribution or a collection of software that is mostly sourced from various upstream providers. Whilst the Canonical/Ubuntu developers might patch various applications in order for them to work better within the Ubuntu environment they are not necessarily in a position to add new features to existing applications. Many Ubuntu developers are also GNOME, Debian or Xfce developers but suggestions for improvements or new features are usually best reported upstream unless you are suggesting improvements to the Ubuntu environment as opposed to the environment of any other Linux distribution which includes either similar or the same applications. What improvements do you have in mind?
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like the big picture is quite complicated... Small things that annoy when coming from Windows, such as - dragging a bookmark to desktop and back to browser - treat desktop as any folder - slow double click rename file - show in GUI if volume is mounted read only - better preview of music and image files (metadata, thumbnails) ... many similar things, nothing critical, but once you get used to them, you miss them With chromium I was really upset finding out that google is creeping in, with automatic google login on browser and translation suggestions. (Sorry about formatting issues, newlines get lost)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the big picture is quite complicated... Small things that annoy when coming from Windows, such as - dragging a bookmark to desktop and back to browser - treat desktop as any folder - slow double click rename file - show in GUI if volume is mounted read only - better preview of music and image files (metadata, thumbnails) ... many similar things, nothing critical, but once you get used to them, you miss them With chromium I was really upset finding out that google is creeping in, with automatic google login on browser and translation suggestions. (Sorry about formatting issues, newlines get lost)
    There are 50 different GUIs you can use with any Linux distro. Some are much more configurable than Canonical's main choice of Gnome3. Some disable having anything on the desktop at all. Others give you complete control over the desktop. Just depends on which you prefer. There are different layers to all GUIs. Some are optional and can change the entire look of the visual system.

The GUI isn't the OS.

There are very different design philosophies between Unix and other OSes. Literally thousands of different, unrelated, project teams make the software that is included in Canonical's distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Small things that annoy when coming from Windows
    If the GNOME 3 desktop that Ubuntu uses lacks any features or does things differently to what you are used to in Windows then try one of the Ubuntu flavours which all feature different desktop environments. May be one of them suits you better than mainstream Ubuntu?
    The Bug Squad needs your help.

Beans

I've tried out some distros at distrotest.net but maybe gave up too soon. I'll check the Ubuntu variants also. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I've tried out some distros at distrotest.net but maybe gave up too soon. I'll check the Ubuntu variants also. Thanks!
    Please have a look at the link in my sig: "The Best 'buntu Flavour"