Thread: USB Ethernet Adapter TP Link TL-UE300 connects only at 10MBit to 100MBit ethernet

Beans

USB Ethernet Adapter TP Link TL-UE300 connects only at 10MBit to 100MBit ethernet

Hi,
    I am using an USB ethernet adapter on an old i-Mac running Xubuntu 18.04.2LTS. It manages to connect to my 100MBit ethernet but only at slow speed 10MBit.

If I do an ethtool on my adapter I get the following:

Code:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                             100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 10Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 32
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00007fff (32767)
                       drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err tx_queued intr tx_done rx_status pktdata hw wol
        Link detected: yes
    For some reason the advertised link modes are set to 10baseT/Half and 10baseT/Full only. I tried to manually set the advertised modes to also include 100MBit (half and full duplex) but if I do that the connection stops working. Any idea what is going wrong or how I could get more info?
    Thanks in advance!
    Markus
    Last edited by meise21; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: USB Ethernet Adapter TP Link TL-UE300 connects only at 10MBit to 100MBit ethernet

Check your switch/modem/router. Important are the speeds supported by the device the computer is connected to.

Beans

Re: USB Ethernet Adapter TP Link TL-UE300 connects only at 10MBit to 100MBit ethernet

The switch is a gigabit switch the router to the internet is 100MBit only. I thought this is the reason why "Link partner advertised link modes" shows 100MBit in ethtool.
    Connections between other computers on the network are 100Mbit so this shouldn't be the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

The advertised link modes are only between 2 directly connected devices. If your computer has a Gigabit NIC and the switch too (and the cable is ok and 8 wires), they can connect with Gigabit, regardless which speed is used between switch and router.
    Check your cable. Is it able to connect with Gigabit on another computer/switch?

Beans

I played around some more and noticed a strange thing. If I connect both my PC not via my switch to my internet router but directly to my router I get a 100 MBit connection. Interestingly this changes also the values for "Advertised link modes" there I get 10, 100 and 1000MBit when I connect my PC to the router, but only 10MBit when i connect it to my switch (which is at least advertised as gigabit ethernet switch). I'll try more the next days.

Beans

Thanks for your tips. The problem was my apparently defective switch. I got a new one yesterday and everything works like a treat now...
    Thanks,
    Markus