Thread: HOWTO: RX 5700 XT/RX 5700 with open source drivers on Ubuntu 19.04

Threaded View

Beans

HOWTO: RX 5700 XT/RX 5700 with open source drivers on Ubuntu 19.04

I just got my brand new RX 5700 XT and had to do a bit of trial and error to get it up and running, as I couldn't find a complete guide on how to do so. This should most definitely work with the regular RX 5700 as well, but I can't test.
    Edit: If you're from the future and running 19.10, everything should work out of the box and this guide will be obsolete.

First of all the kernel needs to be updated to 5.3rc1 or later, I'm using 5.3rc6 as of August 30th. You can get kernel debs from here or do as me and install "Mainline", a tool for handling custom kernel updates.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cappelikan/ppa
    sudo apt update && sudo apt -y install mainline
    Open "Ubuntu Mainline" from applications menu, go to settings and uncheck "Hide unstable and RC releases" and install the latest 5.3 kernel. (You might have to close and reopen the application before installing)

Next we need newer versions of llvm and mesa. Luckily everything is neatly packaged for us in Oibaf's PPA.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
    sudo apt update && sudo apt -y upgrade
    Finally we download the proprietary firmware files for Navi 10 and place them in /lib/firmware/amdgpu
    Code:
    wget -r -np -R "index.html*" https://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/navi10/
    cd people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/navi10/
    sudo cp navi* /lib/firmware/amdgpu
    Reboot and enjoy!

Edit: If you have an AMD Freesync compatible monitor like me, you probably want to enable Freesync. You can check if your monitor is capable by running xrandr --props and look for the line that says vrr_capable: 1. Freesync works only in Xorg and not in Wayland, unfortunately.
    Edit2: Freesync seems to freeze the system when launching a 3D application. The only reason it didn't do so in the first place for me is because Freesync is only active on single monitor setups. You can use this to test and enable it when it is fixed, but for now leave this option as "false".
    Code:
    sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf
    Add the line Option "VariableRefresh" "true", so it looks something like this:
    Code:
    Section "OutputClass"
            Identifier "AMDgpu"
            MatchDriver "amdgpu"
            Driver "amdgpu"
            Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
    EndSection
    You can verify that it's enabled using:
    Code:
    grep -w VariableRefresh ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
    Uninstall guide:
    Remove 5.3rc kernels using mainline. You will have to boot an earlier kernel version before doing so.

Remove Oibaf's PPA and downgrade packages.
    Code:
    sudo apt install ppa-purge
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
    Remove firmware files. If you in the future have upgraded to 19.10 don't do this, as firmware files should be included in that release.
    Code:
    sudo rm /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi*
    Last edited by Claritux; 1 Week Ago at 02:11 PM.