Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello all, I Just joined the forum. Need advice on Linux O/Ss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Hello all, I Just joined the forum. Need advice on Linux O/Ss

Quote Originally Posted by dagmann View Post
    As of right now, to simplify this experience, I plan to use a formatted Samsung 500GB SSD drive for the Ubuntu installation, and no other drives except of course an HP DVD.
    I would like to install and use the Firefox browser.

I downloaded the following software files. I hope that they are correct.
    PowerISO7-x64, NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.40, ubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-amd64

I found on Youtube some videos on how to install Ubuntu from a USB drive. I'll give that a try.

I appreciate everyones input. I'll be back!
    Firefox is already installed by default.

Don't use the file that you downloaded from Nvidia's site. In fact, don't download any software from websites for use in Ubuntu. Ubuntu uses software packages, which you install using a package manager, and they're automatically configured and updated. The Software Centre is the user-friendly way of installing software, or you can install Synaptic if you want more insight and control over what's actually happening. The drivers for most things are already part of the kernel and proprietary software - like the Nvidia driver - can be installed using normal package management.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The driver installation disks that you get with Windows programs and hardware are called cup holders here. Put your coffee mug or cold drink on it.

Beans

Many thanks to all. Yup, I am learning a little about Ubuntu. I have a bootable/installation USB ready to go. Just gotta get the nerve to use it, lol.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dagmann View Post
    I have a bootable/installation USB ready to go. Just gotta get the nerve to use it, lol.
    You don't have to install it on the first go. The install disk is fully-functional without installing anything at all. You can just play around with it without affecting anything else on your computer till you're comfortable. Any changes to the Ubuntu part won't be saved, either: the install image is read-only.

Since you're using Nvidia graphics, there's a reasonable chance that you'll boot into a black screen - perhaps with a flashing cursor. If that happens, at the screen where it says "Try Ubuntu" press E to edit the startup options, find where it says "quiet splash" and change that to "quiet splash nomodeset". It's an Nvidia-specific problem, but it doesn't affect everyone. If you make that change you may find that the resolution is lower than you'd want, but it's fine for just playing around and fine for doing the install. When you've done the install and installed the proprietary driver you won't need it any more. The Nvidia driver has some special sauce for setting the resolution, and they won't share it.

Beans

I just tried Ubuntu's 'try' to see how it runs. It was very fast. Firefox works very well. I was quite surprised.

I do have a question about the installation.
    I have a Samsung 500 GB SSD that is empty and formatted. Can I install on that drive?
    Can I assume that I could boot into Ubuntu by using the USB and go to that drive?

I could remove the USB and reset the bios to boot up in Windows if needed.

BUT when in Windows would that O/S damage the SSD that contains Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

It depends.

After you've done the install you won't need to keep the install image inserted, and having it inserted won't help you.

If you're using BIOS then a different bootloader can go in the Master Boot Record of each drive and your drives can be completely independent of each other, and you can select which drive you boot from using just the BIOS. That's not the default, but you can do it. Otherwise, Grub would be the bootloader, and would chainload the Windows bootloader, so you'd pick which OS you wanted to boot from using Grub's menu.

I'm hazy on what happens if you're using UEFI, since I stopped using Windows long before I started using UEFI. But I think that all the bootloader stuff has to go in one EFI System Partition, so you can't have independent discs in the same way.

Whether you use BIOS or UEFI depends on how your Windows install is set up. If it's already BIOS you'll want to stay with BIOS, and if it's UEFI you'll want to stay with UEFI. You can't mix-and-match easily. You'll also want to pay attention to how you're booting your install image: if you boot it in BIOS mode it will install in BIOS mode; if you boot it in UEFI mode it will install in UEFI mode.

For the most part I think Windows will simply ignore your Ubuntu partitions. Obviously if it says, "I've found some non-NTFS partitions, would you like me to nuke them?" don't say yes.

Beans

Is there a recommended VPN and Antivirus to use with Ubuntu?

I found this VPN list. Is anyone using any of these? If so how is it speed wise?

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/361826...apps-for-linux
    Last edited by dagmann; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You probably have no worry about antivirus programs; as for VPN, there is at least one in the repositories.
    Code:
     apt show openvpn
    Package: openvpn
    Version: 2.4.7-1ubuntu1
    Priority: optional
    Section: net
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Bernhard Schmidt <berni@debian.org>
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Installed-Size: 1,171 kB
    Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.15), liblz4-1 (>= 0.0~r130), liblzo2-2, libpam0g (>= 0.99.7.1), libpkcs11-helper1 (>= 1.11), libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.1), libsystemd0, iproute2, lsb-base (>= 3.0-6)
    Suggests: openssl, resolvconf, openvpn-systemd-resolved, easy-rsa
    Homepage: https://openvpn.net/
    Task: ubuntu-desktop-minimal, ubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-mate-core, ubuntu-mate-desktop, ubuntu-budgie-desktop
    Supported: 9m
    Download-Size: 477 kB
    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu eoan/main amd64 Packages
    Description: virtual private network daemon
     OpenVPN is an application to securely tunnel IP networks over a
     single UDP or TCP port. It can be used to access remote sites, make
     secure point-to-point connections, enhance wireless security, etc.
     OpenVPN uses all of the encryption, authentication, and certification
     features provided by the OpenSSL library (any cipher, key size, or
     HMAC digest).
     OpenVPN may use static, pre-shared keys or TLS-based dynamic key exchange. It
     also supports VPNs with dynamic endpoints (DHCP or dial-up clients), tunnels
     over NAT or connection-oriented stateful firewalls (such as Linux's iptables).
    TheFu is absent tonight, but he will probably have some good advice to share about VPN.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Beans

Well Ubuntu is install along with some other software.
    Just to let ya'll know, the SSD I used for Ubuntu does not show up in Windows 7.
    However the revers is true.
    I am not using a dual-boot scenario, I use Grub2Win. Tacky but it works.

I have not been able to install Wine, I keep getting some kind of package error.
    I follow instructions from two website, still no joy.

Isn't there a simple way to install Wine from the repository?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast