Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who else is eagerly waiting for 20.04 ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Who else is eagerly waiting for 20.04 ?

Hi,

I am using Lubuntu 18.04 at the moment and I am eagerly for the 20.04 release.

Once 20.04 is released I will no longer be using LXDE. I will install vanilla Ubuntu (Gnome)

coz its supported for 5 years.

Who else is eagerly waiting for 20.04 ?
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans

Re: Who else is eagerly waiting for 20.04 ?

Yes, very eager about this. I will be loading up 20.04 in November.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Meh. One of the desktops here is still running 16.04. I got around to upgrading my HTPC/Minecraft server NUC to 18.04 a few days ago.

I'm kinda interested in the post-i965 Iris driver that Intel are working on, and I'm sure the polish and fixes that KDE have been doing will be good when they arrive.

I'd imagine that it's people running, or hoping to run, very new AMD hardware that are particularly desperate for the new kernel and new Mesa from 20.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i was on 16.04 planning to skip 18.04 and install 20.04 soon after it comes out. but a strange crash a couple months ago looked like it needed a fresh re-install, so i went ahead and took the gamble and put Xubuntu 18.04 on. after a few days of diagnosing the crash i discovered it was fixable, but i had 18.04 working so i stuck with it. now i am wonder if i should go with 20.04 or skip it and wait for 22.04. if 20.04 has Python 3.7, i'll go with it. i have hardware from early 2014 so i have no desperate need for 20.04. but if it bumps me up on Python, i will go for it for sure. and, if it doesn't, we'll see.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a Ryzen 5 2600 and have no desire for 18.04 or 20.04. Still rockin' 16.04 on it.

Maybe in 2020, 18.04 will be stable enough for production use? Here's hoping.
    My communications server vendor doesn't support 18.04 yet, they have alpha releases out. Production is on 16.04.

I'm very worried about a few things that don't seem production ready being forced into 20.04.
    * Wayland ; they backed out the failed push for this in 17.10.
    * snaps ; needs to be 100% optional; there are too many failures still to be considered for a stable release. Maybe in 3 more years. They need to back out snapd.
    * more netplan.io stuff; Would love to see netplan work well with multiple bridge support. There are about 50 common setups for networking, but it seems netplan onto works with about 10 (my guess). They need much more robust testing BEFORE making it a default.
    * more systemd stuff; can't they fix the resolver which wasn't actually broken in 10.04 until people tried to "fix it" and it hasn't worked right since then.

You'll note that none of those are GUI things, except Wayland. I'll just load up fvwm and have my desktop as I like it about 30 seconds after my first boot of a desktop. The menus will be identical. All my customizations will be identical and whatever whim some GUI programmer things is Keeeewwwwl, won't impact my desktop. Who has time for that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I will be very interested to see what Xubuntu 20.04 is like, but I'm not busting a gut to get it running as my main system.

I use only the LTS versions on that main machine, keeping the intermediate versions for a laptop that I play around with, and I always wait a few months after release before moving to the LTS version on the main machine, so probably about 12 months from now I shall be doing a clean install of Xubuntu 20.04.

Beans

I have this thing I do every two years. When testing starts for the next LTS I load it up and make it my host system. I then do a couple three guest installs of the next generation LTS to play with.

This surprising enough works well for me. I will get an occasional host fail, but all I have to do is drink heavily until the pain goes away

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i used to eagerly go for the latest and greatest, and go beyond the edge to help diagnose. but i have retired and am now trying to take it easy. i don't build my own hardware any more and just launch cloud instances instead of renting a co-location space. it's a click-click world, now. i still code (even though my jobs were mostly system administration and network administration) but a lot less C and assembly and a lot more Python. i had 4 old servers co-located in TX (i am in WV). i just abandoned them (cheaper that way).
    Last edited by Skaperen; August 26th, 2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I run Ubuntu 19.04 as Host OS from ZFS, after ~10 terminal commands I got Ubuntu booting from ZFS. I use Ubuntu 19.04 to get the newest drivers for my Ryzen 3 2200G. Ubuntu 20.04 is nice, but more than half a year away. First I'm exited about Ubuntu 19.10 with its new support for installing and booting from the best file system in the world: ZFS.

I love Gnome in combination with full screen virtual machines (VM). I run Xubuntu 18.04.3 in a VM to take care of all my office work and I still use the Ubuntu 16.04.6 VM for my Banking and PayPal. I even play my music with Windows XP I'm now listing to Tina Turner and David Bowie with Tonight.

Beans

I run kubuntu on old hardware, so have no special need for new kernel features. I suppose I'll have to go to 20.04 fairly early though, since kubuntu 18.04 only has three years support. I'm considering taking the opportunity to switch to KDE neon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast