Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who else is eagerly waiting for 20.04 ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Who else is eagerly waiting for 20.04 ?

Nothing special, outside of Canonical contirbs.
    Long Live>>> XFCE,Mate, Plasma, etc,etc.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyOats View Post
    That's how bad I didn't like the Unity desktop. I didn't even know that UBUNTU went back to using GNOME.... So, then what's special about 20.04 that everyone is so giddy for it? Is it just because we'll be going from 16.04 to 20.04? Or is there gonna be something really supper special about it? Like maybe it won't be such a pain in the ass to install on a UEFI system? (UEFI still kicks my butt).
    In all honesty, I find myself hoping for new default themes. Chances are, there are going to be newer versions of softwares that removed options that I need, kinda like Openshot removing 80% of of the effects that were in previous versions. I now have to keep 16.04 in a VM just for video editing, because the only effect I use is pixelate and they decided people don't need that anymore. I hold out faith that they'll add things back, but I'm not holding my breath.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    I love Gnome in combination with full screen virtual machines (VM).
    is lightdm your display manager? it lets me use Xfce keyboard shortcuts even while in full screen mode (i run Xubuntu). i then have many Alt+ shortcuts to jump between users (dm-tool switch-to-user $nextuser). the users are part of the "nopasswdlogin" group so i can instantly switch between users in full screen mode. users is better separation or compartmentalization.
    YouTube/Google still does not put their ads between songs like radio stations do, so, I am boycotting their advertisers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyOats View Post
    That's how bad I didn't like the Unity desktop. I didn't even know that UBUNTU went back to using GNOME.... So, then what's special about 20.04 that everyone is so giddy for it? Is it just because we'll be going from 16.04 to 20.04? Or is there gonna be something really supper special about it? Like maybe it won't be such a pain in the ass to install on a UEFI system? (UEFI still kicks my butt).
    For me Unity was OK in 12.04 - I used Unity-2D because most of my hardware bogged down too much with the full 3D experience. I also really liked GNOME Flashback (which started out as Gnome Classic). Both 14.04 and 16.04 were usable with only minor complaints - things that could be overlooked. But 18.04 has one bug that's caused me to continue using 16.04 on most of the nearly 70 PC's I maintain.

I tested Ubuntu GNOME extensively while it was in development - so much so I really got burned out by the time Ubuntu started using GNOME Shell. I really have to say I have a love-hate relationship with GNOME Shell. I sort of love the general design but the dependence on 3rd party extensions can be a real pain because just when you get things where you love it the next dev cycle may result in NOT being able to use your favorite extensions. I also dislike some of the most recent changes to the Control Center UI, near deprecation of GNOME Tweak, and nearly constant bugginess of GDM3 during every dev cycle.

MATE has always been a clear option but seems rather bloated so I've considered starting with a minimal MATE install or adding minimal MATE to Ubuntu - I've already experimented a bit. But minor issues with gvfs have forced me to consider Kubuntu which I actually find quite usable with rare exception (still prefer Gparted and Synaptic for instance). But having recently tried Lubuntu again since it's gone LXQT I was quite impressed.

But then trying Ubuntu Eoan Beta I was fairly blown away, both out-of-box and Flashback session impressed me. I encountered no show-stopper bugs and it feels super familiar. At any rate with about 60 computers running 16.04 I need to figure something out by late 2020 or early 2021. Unless I win the lottery so I can afford 5 more years of extended support.

Beans

I really liked 16.04 it seemed about perfect and very fast. For whatever reason 18.04 seems more bloated, feels slower, though it looks very polished at the same time. I'm hoping 20.04 gets back to feeling less sluggish and faster overall.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234