Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who else is eagerly waiting for 20.04 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Who else is eagerly waiting for 20.04 ?

I am. At the moment it is my only upgrade path for my htpc / server because I cannot for the life of me track down an issue with Mythtv recordings / live tv playback. I've eliminated everything in my configuration except Ubuntu 18.04 itself. Can't find anything in the logs so that isn't even a guarantee. For the moment, I'm stuck on 16.04.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; August 28th, 2019 at 05:52 PM.

Beans

I'll stay with Ubuntu 18.04 as it installed and updated and worked without problems OOTB from the git go on my old 2010 Dell Optiplex 380 and I see no need to change until its EOL.

I will download Ubuntu 20.04 when it's released.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Will go with 20.04 upon formal release. No choice, really, since modding on these forums is greatly enhanced by experience with the latest LTS release.

But that's only on my main box. Frankly, I'm rapidly approaching a crossroads: I have a server running on a 32-bit MOBO that will be orphaned by Ubuntu in the coming two years. Once Bionic reaches EoL, I must either trash it or transition to a distro that still supports 32-bit. The upcoming 20.04 might be the time to do so.

I wish 20.04 still supported 32-bit, but no point pining for unobtainium.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm hoping 20.04 reliably supports the Ryzen APUs. I have a 2200G which, if using the onboard graphics will infrequently lock up HARD. Using a few years old AMD PCIe graphics card fixes the problem. I've tried both X and Wayland and don't see any difference. I could try 19.04 but tend to prefer LTS releases especially on machines that need to work.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    Once 20.04 is released I will no longer be using LXDE. I will install vanilla Ubuntu (Gnome)
    Once 20.04 is released I will no longer be using vanilla Ubuntu (Gnome). I will install <insert flavour here>.

When 20.04 is released I will have been here for virtually 10 years during which time I have run every release starting some time during its development period, and have used every flavour of Ubuntu. I'll no longer be running development or interim releases just dual booting between the two most recent LTS releases. But which flavour?

I haven't decided yet but probably Ubuntu MATE Xubuntu.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; September 15th, 2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Changed probable future Ubuntu flavour

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Will go with 20.04 upon formal release. No choice, really, since modding on these forums is greatly enhanced by experience with the latest LTS release.

But that's only on my main box. Frankly, I'm rapidly approaching a crossroads: I have a server running on a 32-bit MOBO that will be orphaned by Ubuntu in the coming two years. Once Bionic reaches EoL, I must either trash it or transition to a distro that still supports 32-bit. The upcoming 20.04 might be the time to do so.

I wish 20.04 still supported 32-bit, but no point pining for unobtainium.
    I know the feeling. I have a netbook running as a Motion server and updates killed it. It would boot, but the screen wouldn't come on, so I had no choice but to make changes via SSH. I installed Debian Buster with LXDE on it and haven't looked back. Ubuntu required being logged in before the wireless NIC could connect to the LAN, which was also a buzzkill when the screen stopped working with Ubuntu. With Debian, the screen issues are gone and the NIC goes online without being logged in.

For my desktops, I am looking forward to 20.04. Hopefully everything just keeps working like the LTSs normally do. 12.04 caused me to go back to Windows for a while. I never want to do that again.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

nothing is an excuse to go back to Windows, not even 19.10.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    nothing is an excuse to go back to Windows, not even 19.10.
    19.10 is working well for me so far. Upgraded my laptop to it last night.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

me me me.

have always been on the lts & always will be. never touched nothing in between the lts releases.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    19.10 is working well for me so far. Upgraded my laptop to it last night.
    And this is a excellent indication 20.04 will work nicely out of the box in November

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast