Thread: Brother Scanner Setup - Missing a module

Beans

Brother Scanner Setup - Missing a module

I am trying to set up my Brother MFC scanner software to work with Simple Scan. I downloaded the Brother driver and installed it.

When I tested a scan with Simple Scan, it identified the Brother printer as the scanner but failed to scan. It changes from "Ready to Scan." to "Failed to scan. Unable to connect to scanner."

Yet my printer is hooked up properly and prints without any issues.

An error message that I received yesterday is:

Code:
    GTK-Message : Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
    I cannot locate the graphical software repository of dependencies to see if I can download it from that source. So, I will try to install it with the Terminal.

Should I simply type:

Code:
    Sudo Install Canberra-gtk-module
    Will that work? Any tips and advice for this novice (but getting savvier) Ubuntu user to connect the scanner to my computer?
    Last edited by sunrise718; August 25th, 2019 at 03:57 AM.

Beans

Re: Brother Scanner Setup - Missing a module

https://askubuntu.com/questions/3422...eady-installed

Code:
    sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module
    seems to be the solution.

Linux is case sensitive. There is no command "Sudo". Nearly every command is in lower case. Nor should "install" be capitalized. Pay close attention to syntax if you're following online suggestions to save yourself a lot of pain.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you! I successfully installed the module with your command.

Sadly, neither Simple Scan or XSane are still not recognizing the connection.

It could be an issue with the Brother scanner even though the printer in the machine is working.

I need to try some troubleshooting with the machine. If you have other ideas, let me know.

Also, on the topic of case-sensitive, do you think a problem could occur if I changed the name of my machine on the home page to upper case even though the other Unix code is lower case? I have not detected any issues after changing that the other day.

Beans

I have an HP scanner for which there are no Linux drivers. I purchased a copy of VueScan which works fine: https://www.hamrick.com/
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I own a Brother MFC-7360N. Never experienced any issues for downloads, installation, and operation using Brother supplied installation installation routines or instruction through many installations of *buntu 14.04, 16.04, 18.04.
    Which model Brother MFC? Maybe you have come to the right place for assistance.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/