Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to install any ubuntu flavour: "Couldn't get size" & "Registered PHC Clock"

Beans

Unable to install any ubuntu flavour: "Couldn't get size" & "Registered PHC Clock"

I want to completely get rid of Microsoft (thus Windows), and I really love the Ubuntu operating system and applications.
    I had Ubuntu installed before on my computer, and it worked perfectly. For some reason I switched back to Windows, but now I want to completely get rid of Windows, but I can't.
    I've installed Ubuntu several times on mine and others' pcs. It has always worked, but now I'm stuck at the very unclear sentence Couldn't get size.

This is a screenshot I took when I tried starting the Ubuntu installer using nomodeset:

I've searched on this and other forums, and I've found a couple of solutions, including:

• Using nomodeset & nouveau.modeset=0 (See screenshot)
    • Using no splash
    • Using CSM in UEFI setup
    • Using Secure Boot either enabled or disabled in UEFI (Tried both)
    • Using Safe Graphics when booting from GRUB
    • Plug the USB drive into a 2.0 port instead of 3.0
    • Disconnect ethernet cable
    • Flash the USB drive with Rufus, Etcher, and UNetBootin (tried them all)
    • Using the motherboard graphics instead of GPU by plugging in the HDMI cable directly to the motherboard

Actually, nothing worked... I keep getting Couldn't get size. And when I remove quiet splash or use no splash, I see Registered PHC Clock. I know this isn't an error, but it hangs on that one and don't continue booting (even after 30 minutes).
    I hope someone has a brilliant idea, which makes my system at least boot into the installer & desktop where I can fix some issues.
    Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to help!

Regards, Luuk.
    P.S. I don't think it's caused by the GPU, because it also doesn't work with the motherboard graphics...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Unable to install any ubuntu flavour: "Couldn't get size" & "Registered PHC Clock

What brand/model system? Which model nVidia card?
    Some need additional boot parameters. With nVidia you probably at lease need nomodeset.

Have you updated UEFI
    And if SSD updated SSD's firmware?

Are you able to get to grub menu?

I would stay with UEFI Secure Boot off, boot in UEFI mode, have fast boot off in UEFI.

Is Windows still installed? You need fast start up off or the installer cannot correctly see drive as NTFS is the hibernated. Or even if you uninstalled Windows but left a NTFS partition which may then still have hibernation flag set.
    Or perhaps other issues with drive?
    Is drive set to AHCI? Not RAID nor Intel SRT.
    Some have had to remove hidden RAID data on drive if drive was really part of RAID at one time.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: Unable to install any ubuntu flavour: "Couldn't get size" & "Registered PHC Clock

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    What brand/model system? Which model nVidia card?
    Some need additional boot parameters. With nVidia you probably at lease need nomodeset.

Have you updated UEFI
    And if SSD updated SSD's firmware?

Are you able to get to grub menu?

I would stay with UEFI Secure Boot off, boot in UEFI mode, have fast boot off in UEFI.

Is Windows still installed? You need fast start up off or the installer cannot correctly see drive as NTFS is the hibernated. Or even if you uninstalled Windows but left a NTFS partition which may then still have hibernation flag set.
    Or perhaps other issues with drive?
    Is drive set to AHCI? Not RAID nor Intel SRT.
    Some have had to remove hidden RAID data on drive if drive was really part of RAID at one time.
    It's a custom-build pc by gamepc.nl
    My Nvidia card is "GeForce GTX 1050 Ti".
    I just updated the UEFI, but it didn't worked.
    I am able to boot into GRUB, but when I start Ubuntu it says "Couldn't get size", immediately after I choose to boot from grub.
    Fast startup is disabled and secure boot too.
    My drive has always been in AHCI.
    As I said in my first post, I have previously installed ubuntu several times on this pc, but now it doesn't work anymore...
    Everything I have tried doesn't work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Some motherboards need boot parameters. Exactly what model?

Is error like this one?
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1142...0000000000000e
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Btw, when I turn off secure boot, I also get the following error beside the "Couldn't get size":
    MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list

Quote Originally Posted by luukf8 View Post
    Btw, when I turn off secure boot, I also get the following error beside the "Couldn't get size":
    MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list
    Yes the error looks like that.
    My motherboard is ASUS TUF B360M-PLUS GAMING

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are you installing 19.04?
    Have you got UEFI set to boot UEFI only?
    My older z97Asus would only boot correctly with UEFI only, even UEFI or CSM/Legacy would not boot correctly.

Beans

Are you installing 19.04?
    Have you got UEFI set to boot UEFI only?
    My older z97Asus would only boot correctly with UEFI only, even UEFI or CSM/Legacy would not boot correctly.
    Yes, I'm trying to install 19.04.
    I do not know exactly what you mean with UEFI "only". I have CSM disabled, and I choose the UEFI entry from the boot menu...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Even though newer, since Asus & Intel, you should have very similar UEFI screens:
    Asus z97 screenshots:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...58575&page=297

Mine has Windows or Other for Secure Boot, but also CSM, CSM or UEFI and UEFI only as boot options. I also have to turn on Allow USB boot.

If you updated UEFI, that often resets many settings to defaults. So you have to redo them. I keep a list.

Beans

Even though newer, since Asus & Intel, you should have very similar UEFI screens:
    Asus z97 screenshots:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...58575&page=297

Mine has Windows or Other for Secure Boot, but also CSM, CSM or UEFI and UEFI only as boot options. I also have to turn on Allow USB boot.

If you updated UEFI, that often resets many settings to defaults. So you have to redo them. I keep a list.
    I have changed all the settings from your screens, but not all options are available in mine.
    The options that where available in my system where the same as in your screenshots. It didn't worked...
    I still don't understand why it worked previously, but it doesn't work anymore when I try to install it now.
    Hopefully, there will be a solution soon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would expect as a newer system, you would have more options.
    I did find it very unusual that I had to turn on CSM to get more settings under CSM to change UEFI settings. Seemed backwards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast