Thread: cannot get the live cd to load on a Powerbook G4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

cannot get the live cd to load on a Powerbook G4

Hi,

I am trying to install an older ubuntu (even as a test) on my Powerbook G4. I cannot get the live cd to boot, Held C down and tried the options key but the live cd doesn't show up. The MAC disc can boot to but not the live cd. I am trying to install 10.04. I have also tried puppy linux 18.04, neither will work. It won't be going on teh internet until I figure out how to install a later version. Right now, I'm limited to 700mb for cdrom. I also created a live usb stick but can't figure out how to boot to it. Any help is appreciated!

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

Beans

Re: cannot get the live cd to load on a Powerbook G4

Pretty sure the G4's were PowerPC - are you using the PowerPC version of Ubuntu, if there was one, never used Ubuntu back then. Also, PPC is a dead architecture, does Puppy still support this?
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/trusty/release/

But please note PPC downloads are all EOL & thus won't be secure for online work.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, Power PC. Thanks for the info and links. I will report back

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

Beans
    Distro

cool I installed the power pc build. Only issue is it has ni GUI, Can log in but stays command line. Is there something I missed during install? I see that the desktop powerpc is just for 32 bit macs. Mine is a 32 bit Mac. Any ideas?
    Last edited by mickee384; August 25th, 2019 at 01:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I am saddled with a cd drive so the dvd versions are too big for the disc. 700mb tops it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

What/which did you install? Server builds do not have a gui; so terminal is expected.

You should be precise/details about the version you are using/tried as currently I have no idea, and what I posted was from a quick search (I've considered loading it in my old g3 mac for years, but never have)

Beans
    Distro

I have tried an assortment of Linux iso. from powerpup to Ubuntu 14.04, none have worked. Found out I have a DVD drive so trying for yellow dog 6.2. This pc will not be surfing the net as the software will be too old. As a PowerPC the options do appear limited. Interesting to note so far none of the DVDs even show up as a bootable choice. Closest I got was Power Pup a fork of Puppy. It loads into ram but "can't fine pup_302.sfs message. I even tried to load OS X back on, loads right to then end and then get a user invalid message. I'll let you know what Yellow Dog does.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for replying. I have tested ubuntu 14.04 power pc, 10.04,16.04, kubuntu 16.04, debian 10.0, xubuntu 14.04 powerpc, slackintosh 12.1 puppy 18.04, all to no avail.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your help I am moving it back to OS X for now but would still like to pursue this in the future