Beans

Re: Apparmor vs SElinux

And cars all have 4 wheels, why do we need so many choices

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The world of Linux (Don't get me started on "GNU/Linux" -- but note that neither Canonical nor Red Hat uses the term "GNU/Linux") is not a restaurant. It is not a monolithic entity. It's not Windows.

And it is exactly that which many find appealing.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

@cruzer001: I agree but it's not the ideal solution too !
    @QIII: "many" is not "everybody". Everybody love choice but too many choice will kill the choice (french sentence).

Peace...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    BitTorrent list, link drops to wrong screen.
    I only see 32 bit in 16.04, which has moved on to a kernel that borks the computer. Debian doesn't change unless there's a security update.

Quote Originally Posted by soufianta View Post
    You can have different options/choices of products but not a HUGE choice of the same product (GNU/LINUX) but that's only my opinion... It's like in a restaurant, if the customer has a huge choice, he will most probably try/take something he don't want and will never come back ...
    There's not really that many choices when you cross out all of the derivatives of derivatives. I'd much rather have a large selection, instead of a limited selection. It gives the power of selecting what you want. Like comparing In & Out vs McDonald's. One has just burgers and fries, while the other has a full selection.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

32 bit has been dropped.

And right Linux is not like a restaurant, but like cars the personalization is endless. Its modular in build and sooo many ways to put it together.
    Last edited by cruzer001; August 23rd, 2019 at 05:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by soufianta View Post
    @QIII: "many" is not "everybody". Everybody love choice but too many choice will kill the choice (french sentence).
    Again: The world of Linux is not a monolithic entity. The developers of each distribution are free to go their own route. There is no governing body telling developers what they can and can not do with their distributions. It's a city full of independent food carts. If you don't like one, go to a different one.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    It's a city full of independent food carts. If you don't like one, go to a different one.
    I don't like anything so I build (roll) my own, thats how easy Linux makes it.

You must run 32 bit? Choice may be made for you depending on Debian 32 bit support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ca...and_the_Bazaar has some interesting ideas about centralized control and the bazaar model.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I'll quote a Dev i used to follow {rook} And I also subscribe to his input on the matter>

These security systems provide tools to isolate applications from each other... and in turn isolate an attacker from the rest of the system when an application is compromised.

SELinux rule sets are incredibly complex but with this complexity you have more control over how processes are isolated. Generating these policies can be automated. A strike against this security system is that its very difficult to independently verify.

AppArmor is very straight forward. The profiles can be hand written by humans, or generated using aa-logprof. AppArmor uses path based control, making the system more transparent so it can be independently verified.
    I've grown accustom to "AppArmor" myself. (Just my 2cents worth)
    I would think though, both are not bullet proof these days.
    Last edited by 1fallen; August 23rd, 2019 at 07:02 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What do you want to do with your server? If its simple, Ubuntu is good, however Debian usually is more stable. I run a number of servers, some ubuntu, some not -- just depends what your looking to do with your server.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast