Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downloads Directory not found!

Beans

Re: Downloads Directory not found!

Quote Originally Posted by hanna-bethell View Post

To my knowledge, I'm not using Ubuntu inside crouton (to my understanding crouton is an extension you can download to let you use Linux and ChromeOS simultaneously??)
    For the record, I'm not using Ubuntu--my Asus chrome had Linux that I just needed to switch on.

What you say here about Downloads in Linux and Downloads in ChromeOS is kind of blowing my mind, but would help explain why my commands aren't working. Can you elaborate? How do I make it so Linux can 'name' files in my Downloads in ChromeOS?
    If you're booting directly into Linux without crouton then my idea is obviously wrong. ChromeOS is an Operating System that uses the Linux kernel but has a completely different userland that is geared towards using the browser and web-apps, making the machine almost useless without a working internet connection. crouton sets up a chroot (changed root directory) and installs a GNU/Linux userland into that. Without further trickery it's quite difficult to access data outside the 'new' root-directory from programs running inside that "cage".

You might want to check in your browser settings where your downloads actually go ('Hamburger'-menu, Settings, "Show advanced settings" at the bottom of the page if you can't see a setting for "Downloads").

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Chromebooks don't run a standard Linux. You'll need to visit specific forums for ChromeOS and using linux to get most help.

Of course, you could have taken extreme steps and wiped ChromeOS from the system, opened the case and broke the write-protection of the firmware, loaded new firmware that would allow non-ChromeOS operating systems to be installed, then installed some version of Ubuntu Desktop onto the device. If this is the situation, people here can help.

I've had a few Chromebooks over the years, but never had any with the newer run-linux-applications capability. I've used Crouton for a few months before being frustrated with the limitations (there are many) and doing what the paragraph above (write-protect, new firmware, load a real Linux OS) says. I was mostly happy with using a normal Linux distro on my chromebooks. The only real problem I experienced was the terrible keyboards missing about 5 keys and that the keyboards wear out too fast. Replacing a keyboard on a chromebook is like brain surgery.

As for the other things, ~/Downloads is just a directory. If it isn't there, MAKE IT! If you need some file that doesn't exist, MAKE IT. Also, don't forget that Linux is case-sensitive, so
    Code:
    ~/Downloads
    ~/downloads
    ~/DownloadS
    are all different.

I know nothing about python beyond the big picture stuff that knowing many other scripting languages has provided.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

hanna-bethell and all responders,

I am a little late getting into this discussion, but I have a question concerning your chromebook. Is your Asus chromebook one of the recent models that can also run android applications?
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They use something called Crostini https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...o-chromebooks/
    How? Well that's a good question. Project Crostini will be bringing Linux VMs to Chrome OS using Linux's built-in Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM). It appears these VMs will run within containers. This should ensure that Chrome OS, which is known for its security, will continue to be secure. These Linux distributions will be run in sandboxes at two removes from Chrome OS's base operating system.
    That's a bunch of buzzwords that don't really say what they are doing clearly. I'd guess, this is the plan:
    Code:
    ChromeOS
    └── KVM-VM
        ├── linux-app1
        ├── linux-app2
        └── linux-app3
    Each app would run inside a separate container.

That means any directories used by an Linux application, linux-app1, couldn't be accessed by any other Linux application, linux-app2/3. That is one of the key reasons to use a Container, compartmentalization. Further, if these Containers are being run inside a KVM virtual machine, then the hostOS, ChromeOS, wouldn't have access to anything inside the KVM VM and similarly, the KVM VM wouldn't have access to anything in the base ChromeOS area. KVM is a heavier form of compartmentalization that has been around about 15 yrs now.

KVM is a little heavy on a chromebook with only 4G of RAM. I've run it, but on a 2G Celeron, it wasn't a little tight. On a 4G Core i3 chromebook, it was fine for limited use. I used it only for servers - no GUI for the VMs. Google did all this to be certain that the base ChromeOS security wasn't at risk. ChromeOS is probably the most secure OS with networking available today and for the last 8 yrs or so. The OS and hardware are tightly coupled.
    Last edited by TheFu; August 26th, 2019 at 03:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

They use something called Crostini https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...o-chromebooks/
    At the bottom the that link, it also states these requirements...
    To run the Linux VM in a Chrome OS container, you currently must:

Have a Pixelbook
    Be on the Dev Channel
    Enable the experimental #enable-cros-container flag
    Open up a crosh terminal by pressing ctrl+alt+t
    Run the following two commands:
    vmc start dev
    run_container.sh -container_name=stretch -user=<username> -shell
    I have a recent Asus C302CA-DHM4 Chromebook, but I have not pursued using any Linux capabilities with it as I have several other machines with Xubuntu installed; however, I am quite satisfied with the capability of running some Android applications on it.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    If you're booting directly into Linux without crouton then my idea is obviously wrong. ChromeOS is an Operating System that uses the Linux kernel but has a completely different userland that is geared towards using the browser and web-apps, making the machine almost useless without a working internet connection. crouton sets up a chroot (changed root directory) and installs a GNU/Linux userland into that. Without further trickery it's quite difficult to access data outside the 'new' root-directory from programs running inside that "cage".

You might want to check in your browser settings where your downloads actually go ('Hamburger'-menu, Settings, "Show advanced settings" at the bottom of the page if you can't see a setting for "Downloads").

Holger
    To the first paragraph, do you mean if I had crouton, or do you mean my system as it is now ('Without further trickery it's quite difficult to access data outside the 'new' root-directory from programs running inside that 'cage')?

Checked my browser settings! It's as I thought... Downloads are located inside of 'My Files'.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    hanna-bethell and all responders,

I am a little late getting into this discussion, but I have a question concerning your chromebook. Is your Asus chromebook one of the recent models that can also run android applications?
    ​Yes, it is!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@hanna-bethell, I think it's been established that you are running Chrome OS, not Ubuntu, so I've moved this thread to the Any Other OS sub-forum and added the ChromeOS prefix to your thread title.

Our focus on ubuntuforums is the Ubuntu family of operating systems, so questions about ChromeOS do not belong in New to Ubuntu or any of the other Ubuntu sections. Nevertheless, you are very welcome to post questions about ChromeOS in this section. That being said, you may find that a forum dedicated to ChromeOS may be useful to you. It's important to remember that although ChromeOS has a Linux kernel, ChromeOS as an operating system is a very different animal from Ubuntu, or other distros often loosely referred to as "Linux", such as Red Hat, Fedora, openSuse and so on.

Best of luck resolving the issue with which you started this thread, and if you ever decide to try Ubuntu on a suitable machine, do please make use of the Ubuntu sections of the forum here.

Cheers!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12